Just getting started "again"

motoman

Reefing newb
Hello everybody,
I just started my 125 gal FOWLR tank. I shared a tank with my mom a hundred years ago, so i'm afraid there may be alot of questions. I live in Daytona Beach Fl and I have 2 ocean inlets very close to me. We love to go to them and hunt the rocks for spiney urchins, live rock and snails. Any info on what not to put in my tank would be of great help,ie, oysters,clams,crabs,coquina rock slate with living stuff on it etc.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT SITE,
DALE

Hello Dale and welcome to the reefs.
I'd be careful about putting stuff from the inlets in your tank. You never know what kind of contaminates you can pick up that way.Plus you could end up on the wrong side of your states wildlife and conservation laws.

being native to florida I can tell you with a fishing liscense you can harvest livestock and soft corals if it is a soft coral attached to a rock like a gorgonian you can take a chisel and hammer and chisel a block off the lr 1 in X 1 in there are size limits on your livestock though I dont remember what they were, do not harvest stonies, or Live Rock. All they request you have if you are harvesting is some type of live well with you so that they live and are not stressed to death but remember if your harvesting coral KNOW what your getting wildlife officers may not know that much about one particular species it could get you into some trouble It would behoove you to take a pocket reference guide just my sugestion. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have bought all my stuff from a local store here for my 30gal. Im probably going to order at least 50% online for my 55 im fixing to start on.
Jelly,can non-residents to Flordia harvest softies with a non-resident liscense?

yote said:
I have bought all my stuff from a local store here for my 30gal. Im probably going to order at least 50% online for my 55 im fixing to start on.
Jelly,can non-residents to Flordia harvest softies with a non-resident liscense?

yes yote as long as you have a fl saltwater fishing liscense get this Ive been doing research on it the cost for an out of state 3 day is $10.00 I cant wait to go home :) your fish depending on the breed ie angels can not exceed 8" gobies 2" you can not harvest sun or fire, bahama stars, better yet here is the link for what you need to know Welcome to Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission try that out bud.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the info. Sorry it took so long to get back but I had a custom bike show and just got home. It was in Clearwater Beach Fl. What a pretty place for marine life lovers like us to visit. My tank is still cycleing (high nitrite) so I just have a few LR and some chromis to help. I was curious about what is bad for the tank. ie oysters clams etc.
Thanks again

actually no there good for the tank oysters tend to sift detrius and clams are filters for nitrates. Just remember you need intense lighting to raise clams.

Back