Just getting started....too many questions!!

roobixqub

Reefing newb
OK, first I want to say HI to all that will be here and answering any questions that I might have. Smart ones or dumb ones!! :D My hubby and I have recently (3 days ago) started getting our 75 gal salt tank up and running. But we have a lot of questions, and hopefully I can figure out where I am suppose to post them to help get them answered. So again HI to all and I hope this will be a fun adventrue and not a total nightmare!!

hello and welcome...have fun here on LR.. ask any question you may have..forum here is great..theres also usefull articles on top to get you started...good luck..

Ok, well my first question is...we got the water in with our sand at the bottom, all levels are good but the water is extremely cloudy. If you wipe the side of the tank it looks a little better but not much. Did we do something wrong or is sand not a good option?

Nothing wrong. Just give it a few days to let the sand settle and the water will clear right up. Do you have the necessary equipment yet, or was that going to be your next question? :)

Well I have 2 filters running and a power head. I am working on getting a skimmer. I am trying to do this on a small budget and work on getting what I need a little at a time. I am hoping that it will eventually look like some of the tanks on here and ones I have seen in person. I told my hubby I dont care whats in it I just want it to look pretty. Oh and I have a heater in there for the water.

give it time and it will clear up..tilll sand particles drops to the bottom..a skimmer is a must in all systems..its a good idea your gonna get one..what kind of ligthing are you planning to buy??

just curious,when you put your sand in did you put the sand in first or the water. also if you did put the sand in first did you put in a bowl then pour the wtaer into the bowl so the water goes over the rims

Cloudiness is normal. Sand is a good choice, hopefully you used aragonite sand? Sounds like you are doing fine for equipment for now, once you start adding more fish you will have to upgrade. And when you want to start keeping corals, you will definitely need to look into lights. Post any and all questions you have!

First off,Welcome to the reef.Ask any questions you have.Some body will be able to answer it.Plus the only dumb questions are the ones thats never asked.

Its normal for the water to be cloudy for a day or so while the sands settling.
What are your plans for your tank?Do want to go reef?Fish only? FOWLR?
That will go along way into your set up and equipment.

I was not paying attention when my hubby was working on the tank, I think it was sand first but no bowl to pour water into. I am not sure what route we are taking as to what is going into it. I know we are starting with cheap little fish so we arent wasting money if there is anything wrong now or later. Once we know that all is living well then we will start looking into bigger prettier fish and possible reef or corals.

Welcome to the site!

Remember to plan ahead.Buying the right equipment now will save you the expense of upgrading in the future.For example,Picking up an inexpensive lights now for a fish only tank and upgrading in 3 months to better lights because you're looking into corals may cost you more in the long run.IMO,a protein skimmer and lights are two things you don't want to go super cheap on.

Good luck

Since 90% of the people who get into this hobby eventually end up going reef,then I would suggest you go ahead and look into a set of lights.
Dont forget the skimmer.I know someone already posted that you'd need one.A good skimmer will go a long in helpping keep your water perimeters stable.No matter which set up you choose.

Hello and welcome did you wash off the sand.... if you did not it will not clear up.... If it is play sand like lowe or home depot you will have to start over............you have to wash this sand off befor you put into your tank!!! if It is live sand it will clam down and be ok... Wash off everthing you put into ypur tank no one told me this..........Go figure.........

welcome...funny nickname..you know that in the 80s i was like 8y old i got a rubixs cube for birthday gift..i think that traumatized my life...still today i cant put all the colors together..the only way i tryed to do it was dissasembling it, like a puzzle..but its almost impossible to put on the last block..frustrating..i dont know why mom did that..she could gave me a bike..i wanted baddly that bike..i could become a murderer, child abuser, even a taxi driver..i hate you rubix cube..i hate you...

LOL You got some issuse from the cube rigo.LOL

Welcome to the site. You will find alot of good info on here, so dont be afraid to ask any question, even if you think its dumb, it probably isn't.

welcome...funny nickname..you know that in the 80s i was like 8y old i got a rubixs cube for birthday gift..i think that traumatized my life...still today i cant put all the colors together..the only way i tryed to do it was dissasembling it, like a puzzle..but its almost impossible to put on the last block..frustrating..i dont know why mom did that..she could gave me a bike..i wanted baddly that bike..i could become a murderer, child abuser, even a taxi driver..i hate you rubix cube..i hate you...

Now that is funny! LMFAO!

Back