just got a 130 Galloon tank on craigslist!!!

quattro4444

Reefing newb
got a crap load of live rock 100lbs and sand and all the goods... only problem, well big problem it has a crap load of aiptasia in there!!! What can i do to get rid of these lil baastards??? Need a solution and looking to the gods for some help!!! tank is cycled but took all the fish to a friends house... What is the easiest way to fight back??? Don't mind if I have to re cycle or seed the live rock... Couldn't pass up the deal, or maybe should have...

Sean

I just had that fight on a smaller scale, only thing i could do to get rid of it was boil my liverock, then you will have to recycle and reseed you may want to try something like Apstasia X , I've heard mixed reviews based on how stubborn the little buggers are. Might be worth a shot to save you the hassle of the previous idea.

Either way i hope you ahve luck with. The meds didnt work for my problem hopefully to save you the frustrating process of boiling your rock you can use the meds and it work.

GL - Cathic

This right here will take care of your aiptasis.Red Sea Aiptasia-X 2oz (60mL)

Just be careful and not touch the anemone with the tip of the applicator.The aiptasia will eat the stuff,then it melts them from the inside out,preventing them from releasing spores into the water.Treat as many as possible.Then get you some pepperment shrimp and add to the tank.The pepperments should help control whats left.

If you have A LOT of aiptasia, you are better off just boiling the rock. It will be impossible to get them all if you have to find them and treat them one by one (like with Aiptasia X). If there are only a few of them, then go with the peppermint shrimp and Aiptasia X.

You could also drop in a copperband butterfly.They wipe that aiptasia out pretty quick and you wont have to kill your rock.

If I were you I would try to look into some Berghia nudibranchs or, like yote said, a copperband butterfly. If you can find some Berghia, though, there's absolutely nothing like them for aiptasia although they can get quite expensive. Be sure to get at least 2 so that they can breed and take care of the tank quickly. They'll put out several egg spirals a week if they have a lot of aiptasia to feed on and each spiral produces around 5-10 more nudibranchs so a bad infestation in a 150 gallon could be taken care of in around a month or so.

I had an aiptasia problem with some rock I purchased from craigslist. I bought some Apstasia X but never even opened the box. I had small to medium aiptasia's scattered throughout the tank and after reading the instructions I found the idea of squirting Apstasia X into each of them to be unacceptable. I ended up buying 3 peppermint shrimp for my 150 gal tank. Those little buggers had a picnic with the aiptasia. In no time at all all the aiptasia was gone and I did not have to squirt something into each of them. If you have an infestation I'd suggest getting the peppermints just make sure they are peppermint shrimp and not camel shrimp.

Thanks for all the advice guys!!! :bowdown: Man that was quick!!! Well I went and got 5 Peppermint Shrimp and they are going to town on the Apstasia...:^: So now onto my next couple questions...

I have 130 Gallon DT and now have a new 43 Gallon for my soon to be SUMP/ REFIGIUM...

What size skimmer should I look at getting? Was thinking ReefOctopus:D:D:D... Unless you guys have any other ideas...

I have an EShopps OverFlow Box don't know which one it is :frustrat:, got it with the tank... Previous owner never used... (has the dual "U" pipes and measures 8 1/2" X 3" X 8 1/2"???

Thinking about going Mag Drive for my return pump, just don't know which one...

So any info from all you guys would be great!!!

Sean

Reef Octopus is a good brand for a skimmer. I would recommend getting one rated for around twice the size of your tank.

Mag Drive pumps are good. Also look at Quiet One pumps.

Thanks for all the advice guys!!! :bowdown: Man that was quick!!! Well I went and got 5 Peppermint Shrimp and they are going to town on the Apstasia...:^: So now onto my next couple questions...

I have 130 Gallon DT and now have a new 43 Gallon for my soon to be SUMP/ REFIGIUM...

What size skimmer should I look at getting? Was thinking ReefOctopus:D:D:D... Unless you guys have any other ideas...

I have the Octo Extreme 200 on my 150 tank and it should be just fine for you. Great skimmer at a fair price. The true reef masters around here will offer tips about the overflow and return pump. Just adding my :twocents: on the Octo skimmer because I have one :D

David and Hornet got the skimmer covered,so I'll take the return pump.:D
On a 150,I'd go with either a Mag 12 or Mag 18.

Ok so I got a sump today off of CraigsList for $40 and it said on the side "SEACLEAR AQUARIUM"... Only problem is I have no idea how to set this up???:frustrat:

Yes I know How a Sump is suppose to be, but this one is arranged a little differently then I'm used to seeing...

I will post pics and maybe one of the reef gods on this forum can point me the right direction!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Sean

Pics!!!

Attachments

• sump 001.JPG
    sump 001.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 295
  • sump 002.JPG
    sump 002.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 297
  • sump 003.JPG
    sump 003.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 312
  • sump 004.JPG
    sump 004.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 278
  • sump 005.JPG
    sump 005.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 276
That's a deal for $40. I would got to youtube and watch as many videos on building a sump/setting up a sump as you can. Then apply to your particular sump. You could also contact the manufacture for some instructions. It my seem complicated but it's not really.

My peppermint shrimp don't seem to touch my aiptasis. Is it possible I'm overfeeding my tank? All of my levels are good...
I did just order a copperband butterfly fish that should be in this week...I had no idea it would help with aiptasis...just a lucky pick! :)

I had the same problem with my peppermints. Mine are always on strike.
They are probably getting plenty to eat without having to earn their keep.

It looks to me like its designed for an external return pump or maybe an external skimmer:dunno:
Can you get some closer pics?

I read that some people have put their rock in a bucket of bleach for an hour, removed it, put in a bucket with dechlorinator (important) and then rinse it.

Back