Just got a free tank, need help setting up

livefromheaven

Reefing newb
Hello,

I just got a 125 Gallon tank for some work that I did. I've had piranhas and other freshwater aquariums before but I'm new to a saltwater setup.

I've always wanted a moray eel and I think I have my heart set on a dragon moray. I understand I'll need a pretty robust filtration system and protein skimmer. Can anybody give me some exact specifications for what I'll need? It sounds like eels can produce a lot of waste.

I have a heater and lighting... Do I need an air pump? What else should I look for?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Welcome to the site AND the hobby.:D
Since you have your heart set on that Dragon Moray,keep in mind thats about all you'll be able to have in there.Those guys are super aggressive when their hungry.

For the filtration.Just set up a sump with a good skimmer.Then get some powerheads for the tank.Also dont forget the rock.Live rock will help keep the parameters in check.

Welcome to the site. Too new to offer any advice for you. But there are plenty of people who can. Look forward to seeing your tank.

Welcome! You are going to love it around here! Just start reading everyone's build threads and you will get so much help! Thats what I did!

Doesn't the dragon moray cost more than some tanks that size? A very nice looking species but your tank may look a bit empty. keep plenty of live rock in that tank to help with filtration. Be patient if the tank is new, it may take a while for it to become stable.

Dang what kind of work do you do? Welcome to the site and the hobby. Sorry I have never had a eel, so I cant tell you much about them. I have to agree with yote on the rock and sump. Cant go wrong there.

Thanks for the kind welcome everyone. The slogan is pretty accurate, this is the friendliest forum on the net.

I think my first step is getting an RO/DI unit to get the water going into it pure.

Is it a good idea to get a sump system too? And how often and would I need to cycle through fresh water with a good skimmer?

A sump is a very good thing to have. Dont buy one, make one, look in the diy section tons in there. Good call on a rodi unit. Umm little confused, you cant cycle freshwater then make it saltwater. The bacteria are different you run saltwater only in your tank. Set up the tank and sump add sand then live rock fill with saltwater and start running the system. You should have enough die off from the live rock to start your cycle if you dont add a raw shrimp or some fish food to the tank. Oh in case it gets confusing when you top off the tank level you use straight ro water, no salt in it. When the water evaporates from the tank salt is left behind so you just add pure water for top offs. Another good thing go out and get the Continuous Aquarius by Robert Fenner in my opion the bible for marine keeping.

Awesome! Thanks for pointing that out Ted. That makes a lot of sense about the evaporation leaving salt behind.

I guess I'm confused about changing water out (or is this not very necessary with a nice skimmer?) I always read about people changing 10% of their water out every week or so. Maybe I'm confused?

You should do a 10 to 20% water change (with new saltwater) once a week or every other week, no matter what kind of equipment you have.

Awesome! Thanks for pointing that out Ted. That makes a lot of sense about the evaporation leaving salt behind.

I guess I'm confused about changing water out (or is this not very necessary with a nice skimmer?) I always read about people changing 10% of their water out every week or so. Maybe I'm confused?
Yes water changes are necessary. I do 10% a week. I have lps corals and I dont supplement calcium. All the stuff I need in the water is replaced when I do a water change, It all depends on your tank. no two tanks are going to be the same. For some people they can change water less often or less % others do more. It depends on what type of creatures you are keeping. Fish only you may be able to do less however if it a big messy fish well you are back to once a week. The best thing you can do is read and research. Then when you think you have it figured out, reread it again. Then ask questions. It helps to have a log book of what you have done to your tank. That way you will know for sure what caused what. Dont be afraid to ask we are all here to help each other. I dont know everything I am still learning. I think that can be said of everyone here,. Oh and again get that book. I have read it three times cover to cover and plan on reading it again next week.

In terms of an eel...you'll need to build up several caves out of your live rock . They like alot of hiding places, but also like to move around a bit. Also, be very careful to secure your rock! Some eels have crushed themselves because they bumped a loose rock that landed on their head or body, trapping, injuring, or killing the eel.

Back