Just got a sun coral

bobet007

Reefing newb
I have had a hexagon tank for years now, and have always had problems with corals because of the light problems with hexagon tanks. Just recently I got a sun coral though, since I heared they did not need good lighting. Now i just want to make sure I am goving it good conditions. It is about 3/4 down to the bottom of my tank and I have a coral life light 50/50 ta96 watts, but it is not in the shade. Is that a good placement, or is that even too much light for my sun coral. Thanks again and Im glad to be a member!

Hello and welcome. I would place it in more of a shaded area. When I first got mine I put too much light on it and it never opened up. I have mine in the shade of some rock overhang. You will also probably have to spot feed it.

+1 DC

Welcome Bob! I've wanted to try a sun coral but I'm too obsessed with LPS. But I've seen some beautiful pieces in very shaded areas and they too were spot fed. If you have a turkey baster or syringe I'd put some cyclops in it and shot it at their mouths. They'll take 8-10min to come out but they will. Good luck!

Hello and welcome to the site...just a side note, you will have to spot feed each polyp. Good luck with it, because, it is a pretty coral.

Welcome to the site.
+1 above on the sun coral.Just give it shade and spot feed it every couple of days.

looks like everyone got you covered, i would say the same but it would be like a broken record :) anyways welcome and feel free to post some pics when it opens up.

Back