Just got here

atexada

Reefing newb
Hello, I have started a 65 gallon aquarium I am hoping to put live corals in. So far I have two clowns, a damsel (got attached to this one cause it was so small and innocent looking), a purple dottyback, a diamond goby (that only comes out at night) and a green star polyp. Am really enjoying the live rock and live sand effects on the aquarium.

Came to the forum for info on reef compatible fish. I really trust the guys at my shop, but just wanted to know the full gamut of what I can put in with the coral and invertebrates so I just don't just buy the first thing I see!

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to the site!
I hope your damsel stays cute, because most of ours turned into the spawn of Satan after a while :( These can be really aggressive.
My advise to you would be to always take things slowly, adding one fish every 3-4 weeks is a pretty standard rate to follow. Sounds like you're having fun getting started, hopefully you can show us some pictures of your tank sometime!

Hi and welcome! All the fish you have so far are compatible for reef tanks, although the damsel could become very aggressive towards other fish and start killing them. Some types of damsels are better than others though, so hopefully you don't have one of the awful kinds!

A good rule of thumb to follow is to add no more than one fish every three weeks, or a pair if you must buy a pair (like for clowns). If your tank has been set up for 3 weeks and you already have all those fish, I'd highly recommend cooling off for a while. It usually takes longer than 3 weeks for a new tank to cycle, so you want to make sure the bacteria in your tank can keep up with the waste from any new additions.

I filled in that form a while back-it's now been more like 5 weeks in. I thought I was adding fish quickly, too, but was told at the store because of the live rock and live sand, I could add sooner. I don't plan on buying anything for the next 2-3 weeks. Water quality so far has been good and I don't want to push it.

Thanks for all the help!

You can get away with a little more by starting with good live rock and sand.But its still not a good idea to push it.

Hi,

I just got here too. You are really brave. I had my tank with live rock and sand up for a month before I added anything.

Hi and welcome, patience is key. You'll get as much out of being on here as you will the hobby, from now on Livingreefs is your partner!!! :mrgreen:

Back