Just set up Biocube 14 questions

bufflehead3

Reefing newb
I just set up my biocube on Monday with 10 lbs live aragate sand, 15 lbs live rock straight out of an existing tank, 50 w heater. In the center chamber in the back I put in live rock rubble along with some chaeto. Removed the bioballs.

How bright of a light does the chaeto need? I'm trying to find something that I can set up behind the tank glass. I was thinking about taping a night light to the back with an extension cord but I wasnt sure if it would be bright enough. Any ideas?

When should my cycle start to begin? I put everything in on Monday.

Tuesday my levels were:
PH:7.8
Ammonia: 0.25 (hard to tell exact)
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite:0

Wednesday (today) they were:
PH:7.9
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate:0
Nitrite: 0

Going to get some PH buffer tomorrow.

Is it true that the cycle starts about day 3? Also, how often should I be testing the water?

I wouldn't bother with the pH buffer. During the cycle, your pH is going to vary. There's no sense in trying to bring it up when it's in a fluctuating state. I use a 23 watt squiggly CFL bulb from the hardware store for my chaeto. I do believe it will need more light than a night light can provide. If you used live rock from an established tank, you may not see a cycle. Try to start one by putting a pinch of food in the tank. Your ammonia should spike within a day or two if you adding it. If it doesn't, you can consider that you skipped the cycle.

I agree with Biff...you may not see a cycle since you've started with cured live rock and sand. Place a lil food in the tank, and within a week, if you don't see a rise in your levels, then you'll know you skipped it. The cheato will need a low watt bulb as biff suggested also.

I have two 25 watt halogen bulbs on the back of chamber 2 of my BC29 and my cheato grows like crazy. A night light is NOT enough. The halogens do burn hot though.

Also, I put live rubble chamber 2 and then took it out. It will probably not do any good back there. You are better off filling almost the entire chamber with cheato and putting strong light on it. I did leave the lower grate in place in chamber 2.

Back