Just started please tell me if im doing ok

Marke86

Coral Junkie
I have a 20 gallon tank. I have the right salinity. Im using a 200gph fillter to start the cycle. I just purchased 11lbs of live figi rock. I also bought a 24" coral light. Im also usin a ph buffer to keep it at 8.3. So my questions are....

How long should I wait before adding fish my live sand bag said fourteen days but that sounds more like a sales pitch then a fact.

Second I was thinking about 2 clown fish and a dwarf lion fish the man at the fish store said that would be ok?

Third I also was told with regular water changes and another 200gph fillter I could get out of purchasing a protein skimmer and be able to grow coral is this achievable.
Thank you
Mark

You can add fish once your tank is done cycling, meaning ammonia and nitrites read zero. If you have any ammonia or nitrites in your water, wait it out some more. Then, only add one fish at a time. After you've added your first fish, wait a few weeks, then add the second.

I think a lionfish would eat your clowns. And I don't think it would do well in a tank that small. Your water quality would go downhill pretty fast with a predator like that (it produces A LOT of waste).

Whether or not you will be able to keep corals depends on the type of light that you bought. I don't know what kind of light you have. Can you give us more details?

It will be tough to run a tank without a skimmer, but it can definitely be done if your tank is lightly stocked.

I agree with much of what Biff said (as usual). If you want to keep the "fu manchu" lionfish or fuzzy dwarf, that would work, but it would be the only fish in the tank. they are kinda cool, but really boring for the cost. They can also be a trick to get to eat. It would be more satisfying to find 2-3 smaller, more active and colorful fish with personality for your first tank and save the predators for a later, larger tank.

A skimmer is not necessary unless you want a lot of fish. I run 2 HOB filters for my 90 with no skimmer and things are working great. the trick is regular water changes. Get another filter.

Clowns are hardy, good first fish choice. Pink skunk clowns stay really small and would be cool in that size tank.

Tell us more about lighting and we can tell you about coral options

-Doc

My lights our two blue led lights, 2 65 watt coral lights and two blue lights the same size as the 65 watt white lights.
Thank you for all your help

if they are 65 watt, I bet the are PC lights. the 24 inch fixtures have 65 watt lights in them. with that light, on your tank, LPS and soft corals will do great. You can even do a clam is my guess. If you have a 20 gallon, you are looking at 10 watts / gallon, so in that tank, SPS corals will do fine as well just wait about 4-6 months before adding them as they like pretty stable water conditions

-Doc

You have 130w of compact florescents.Good enough for soft corals and LPS corals.I would avoid SPS corals and most clams except maybe a Derasa.

My lights our two blue led lights, 2 65 watt coral lights and two blue lights the same size as the 65 watt white lights.
Thank you for all your help

it sounds to me like he has two different fixture, both with 2 65 watt bulbs, at least that is how my PCs were set up. each fixture being 130 watts of total power. that would make 260 watts, which in my book, he could run SPS and clams as well. I think he indicated that he has a 20 gallon set up. that is what I am going with. If it is just 1 fixture at 130, then LPS, softies and maybe a clam will work as that is still 6 watts / gallon. Not sure until he tells us how many fixtures and if it is PC or otherwise

-Doc

Larry,Moe,and kurlys got you pretty well covered.:mrgreen:
Stick with softies and LPS corals and you shouldnt have any problems.

Its highly doubtful if 4x65w PC would fit over a 20 gallon tank.It wouldn't make no difference IMO,PC is PC and doesn't have the intensity for SPS corals.

Its highly doubtful if 4x65w PC would fit over a 20 gallon tank.It wouldn't make no difference IMO,PC is PC and doesn't have the intensity for SPS corals.

wow.........aren't we snippy....:mrgreen:

it is just fun to watch you get all irritated :bounce:

-Doc

I wasn't being snippy,it was just my opinion.I did say something in error.There are a few SPS corals,mainly some montipora and hydnophora that may do well under PC's.

I am thinking that if this guy DOES have 10 watts / gallon, he will be able to make SPS work. still waiting to find out if he has 1 or 2 fixtures

-Doc

I agree, even under PCs, SPS should be fine with that amount of light. A 20 gallon tank isn't very deep, penetration shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, I said it. Penetration. Go ahead. Make fun of me. Get it out of your system now.

Guess I'll have to agree with Reef.I just cant see any amount of PCs producing enough light in the right spectrium to support SPS corals long term.

I agree, even under PCs, SPS should be fine with that amount of light. A 20 gallon tank isn't very deep, penetration shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, I said it. Penetration. Go ahead. Make fun of me. Get it out of your system now.

Hey Yote, I have Biff backing me. You suck

-Doc

Back