Just starting out

jahunt0722

Reefing newb
Hi everyone. I am new to this site and new to saltwater all together. We have always had freshwater tanks, but I have always been intrigued with reef tanks. Since I am a stay at home mom I have the time to learn. One of my good friends referred me to this site as he has had tanks for years. I have gotten some books and have read through some posts on here and my one conclusion is I am overwhelmed and in over my head!! some of the posts I have read seem more like I am reading a different language. We have a 55 gal but my friend told me I want to start off with atleast a 90 gal. I am really excited to learn but man I dont even know where to start!! :shock:

+1 mario. Figure out what type of fish and corals you want first. That way you can decide what tank size to get, skimmer, lighting, etc. Make sure you research everything you do first, and don't take things too fast, if not it could only lead to disaster. But if you do things right this hobby will be giving back rewards in no time. I wish you luck and welcome to the site! Ask about any question you want, the people here are very friendly.

Hello and welcome to the hobby! +1 mario, figure out what you want in the tank and then decide what size tank you want. You can start off with any size tank really...just with a larger tank there is more room for error.

Just let all of the info sink in and everything will start making sense and you'll soon become IN LOVE with the hobby :)))

+2 Mario -- your tank size depends on what kind of fish you want, since some fish require larger systems. I started with a 45g, but realized I wanted larger fish like tangs and a foxface...they require 90+g....so I got a 125g. Go to liveaquaria.com and do fish searches and check out their minimum tank requirements. If you wanted tangs, minimum would be 75 - 90g. Anything smaller will really limit our fish choices.

Once you've decided on a tank size, you'll have to decide if you want a sump (a place usually under the tank where you can keep all of your other equipment like heaters, skimmer, maybe a refugium)..but a sump is not necessary; just convenient.

The rest is just a matter of buying all the equipment. That should start you off!

Hey guys, these two are a couple of my best friends. Take good care of them for me?

From what they have told me they are interested in a reef set up and would like to keep a flame angelfish. They have a 55g non-reef ready tank but we all know how hard it is to aquascape in these narrow tanks. So I recommended a 75 gallon to give them a little more depth...and if you're going 75 you mights well go 90 is my line of thinking.

Anyways, teach them well and take good care of them.

Jared Ash, you can learn a lot from the people here, I know that I sure did.

Last edited:
I've been laying low...real low. New life for this guy, happily married with a gorgeous new daughter will do that to a guy.

Back