just starting ????

cripps72

Reefing newb
Ive run freshwater and im getting ready to try fish only salt. Ive been trying to read as much as possible with the diff. species and everything,but thisis what i would like to have or ive pictured in my head.
55gallon with two filters running,fine black sand for substrate,holey rock for hiding,and the fish list is 2 maroon clowns,3 damsals,dog-face puffer,dwarf lion,poss.some type of tang or angel...and granted im looking at all of these being young so small in size and i know will have to expand or get rid of,but for time being is that ok or should be worried bout lion or puffer taking out damsals or any small fish that might be put in tank?????Like i said new at this any comments,ideas,suggestions would be great. thank you

On the maroon clowns do not get same size, and even then you may very well have a problem with them getting along. on the others it is a mixture for problems. even if the fish cant eat each other when small, the stress will surley increase the chance of disease. a lion can eat a fish at least half its size . anyway read some more and check out the helpful articles, you will find lots of help to. good luck. let us know if we can be of any further help. WECOME TO THE FORUM hope your visits are enjoyable.
finally dansels other than clowns not a good idea with the mix you are proposing. generally dansels are very fisty and tend to be fin nippers or worse.

Last edited:
I think the damsels would be dinner after awhile.With the clowns maybe you can find a mated pair and put them in first.I have two small clowns(ocellaris and a sebae) in my 29 gallon.Putting the clown in first will allow them to become more dominate in the tank.Also if your thanking about a lion and a puffer you may want just keep it an aggressive tank by going with a small leopard grouper or some kind of trigger(clown triggers are pretty cool looking).

Back