Just trying to figure it out?????

andersoned14

Reefing newb
Over the weekend I lost two fish out of two different tanks. My Kole tang seemed sick, but the six line wrasse no signs was missing for a day. Then moved some things around and it looked fine but died the next day. I was posting threads as all this was happening and thanks for all the advice that was given. Now I have a clown from the same tank that has something. Was told here that it could be a fungus LFS thinks parasite, other then ich. Treating them with copper now. Now I'm wondering what when wrong so I can prevent this again. Biff said there might be some kind of stressor in the tank. I was wondering what everyones opionion is on pvc that is glued??? That is the only thing that change over the weekend, I added an overflow to both tanks. Also, a fellow reefer at work add a pvc overflow and he lost both his fish a kole tang and a pork puffer he had for over 3 years. Just trying to figure this out????
Thanks for the help.----------Is the API copper test trust worthy???

clownfishsickpicsJune2010008.jpg

Here is a pic of the clown

Did you let the PVC glue dry before you ran water through it? PVC glue would not be the problem. Every reefer that has plumbed their tank with PVC has used PVC glue. I bet that's at least 90% of us on here that have sumps, myself included.

Are you using the white PVC or the beige? PVC glue shouldn't be your problem...You should only be using the white PVC pipe.

The clown looks to me like it has Brooklynella aka Clown Fish Disease. Copper is one treatment you can use. Like Biff said above I don't think the PVC glue had anything to do with it.

You asked how to prevent it. Only way I know of is to QT ALL the fish you have, treat with the necessary meds. Let your tank go fishless for 6-8 weeks. From that point on QT every new fish and you should stay in good shape.

I'm currently in this process. Not fun watching an empty tank but I know it will be work it in the end.:helm2:

Oh and yes I believe the API Test for copper is fine with the right copper..:mrgreen:

yes glue was dry. Used white pvc. I also got all fish in the QT with copper starting today. I am using Cupramine coppertreatment. What do you do when you QT new inverts since copper will kill them.? to make sure they don't have any parasites on them?/

Definitely looks like Brooklynella. If it is, copper won't get rid it. He needs a formalin bath.

Definitely looks like Brooklynella. If it is, copper won't get rid it. He needs a formalin bath.

+1 on the formalin, seems that is the treatment of choice. I have read of copper being used successfully on Brooklynella, but that is info just from the net and books.. :dunno:

+1 on the formalin, seems that is the treatment of choice. I have read of copper being used successfully on Brooklynella, but that is info just from the net and books.. :dunno:

I recently had two clowns with it. Researching treating it, I came across a plethora of information that says copper won't cure it. WWM said not to use it and I'm usually prone to take their word over anyone elses :P

BrookNoCureF

Are you putting copper in your main tank? Not a good idea because it may be very difficult to get it out later.

Test ALL water parms! This should be a knee jerk reaction when anything doesn't look well.

Thanks for the advice SEN. The fish are getting treated in a QT/Hospital tank, and I tested all water pars everything was good. the only one that was off a little was the PH at 7.8 That is what is so confussing I can't think of what else to test.

Well, got maybe good news, the clown is back to swimming around the QT tank. This is the first day he has really moved around unless it was feeding time.:fechten2:So I think the meds are working. The cupermine said to leave it for two weeks. And day two seems to be good hopefully in two weeks I will still have a clown to talk about. I'm going to leave my DT fish free for a while and hope when they go back in there what ever was making them sick will be gone.:x:

Back