Just wanted to say hello!

actually does that include adequate lighting filtrating heating etc? so all you need is the live rock/sand, salt water as well as livestock?

It has 6 x 39W t5 lighting, that's pretty good for a tank that size. Many people prefer metal halide or are starting to look at the LED's ($$$!). One thing this doesn't have is a sump, I believe. There are other All-in-ones (AIO) , but I think this might be the largest at 65 gallons.

Things do add up. You pay more for you lights and, depending of what you get, your skimmer, than you will for your tank!

Oh, maybe this is the book you bought, I found The 'Conscientious Marine Aquarist' very helpful.
:Cheers:

Rite well ive decided the red sea max 250 is the way forward. My local fish shop are selling it for £1,300 which seems pretty standard (cant find any second hand) they sell live rock for £13/kg or £269/23kg box full. The live sand is £20/20lbs bag.

So im looking at;
tank = £1,300 (red sea max 250)
live rock = £319 (30kg)
Live sand = £83 (38kg)
R/O Unit = £125
Salt = £40 (80 gallon bag)

Are there any other essentials bar livestock im missing? The tank has filters, lights, powerheads, protein skimmer etc. Can any1 donate a kidney to help me pay for all this lol.

Hmm..do i need anything else? I mean do RO filters come with everything you need to attach to tap etc? Do i need a secondary tank or can i just use a bucket and tank water?

How quick/easy is a water change and im assuming that means constant additional salt so that must b v expensive?

I think they usually come with all the parts you need to attach them to the sink or whatever.

A plastic bucket works just fine. You will also need a heater to get the water up to temp and a powerhead to mix up the salt.

Check the salinity with a refractometer after its had a chance to mix and get up to temp, the readings with newly made, cold saltwater are different from well mixed, warm saltwater.

You need to mix up your water a day before because newly made saltwater is very caustic to coral flesh and your fish's gills.

I then attach a powerhead to a tube and use it to suck the water out of the tank and vacuum off the rocks and other places where detritus collects. I then reverse the powerhead so that i can pump the new water into the tank.

Salt is kinda expensive per bucket, but each bucked will make around 150 or so gallons, so its per gallon is actually pretty cheap. How fast you run out of salt depends on how big your tank is and how much of a water change it needs.

Rite well ive decided the red sea max 250 is the way forward.

Can any1 donate a kidney to help me pay for all this lol.

Wow! What have I done! For my first tank, I bought the jbj28 gallon CF w/stand for 300 or 350 USD, but in hindsight, I wish I bought the Redsea Max 130 (34g) It cost about $700, but in time I ended up spending at least that much! Read all the reviews and get as many opinions from people here about this purchase!

+1to Erin on the sand, I was told the same thing and saved money
+! Little_fish on the excellent advice

I was buying salt water and RODI water for the first 6 months because I thought the RODI home system was too much. Well, I paid for it ! You will be very happy with the money you will be saving by making your own, get the big bucket! Have fun!

(Oh, you wouldn't want my kidney... too many IPA's! :Cheers:)

Haha yea same prob with mine mate! Im selling my les paul guitar and marshall amp inc pedals + mountain bike this shud scrape together 700ish..ill save for a few months to get another 1k or so that shud do it

Haha yea same prob with mine mate! Im selling my les paul guitar and marshall amp inc pedals + mountain bike this shud scrape together 700ish..ill save for a few months to get another 1k or so that shud do it

Not the Les Paul!! :shock: That's worse than selling your kidney! Sell your Mum's car, anything! LOL! Good luck, buddy!

Just found pretty Much Whole saltwater set up 50 gal 4 footer W/stand everything minus the Skimmer for 150$ on Ebay Classifieds My advice to You is to Take your time and Wait for a Sweet Deal to pop up I.e some one needs to be out of the house by the end of the week etc.. etc... Good Luck ! and Remeber To keep it cheap DIY

-Owen

Back