Kalk/Calcium Reactor Questions

Palimow

Reefing newb
I'm looking to get into corals now and have done a little reading up on them. I've come across these 2 reactors and rather than sifting through a lot of nonsense on the internets I thought I'd ask here and hope to get a more direct answer.

Do you need both (or non) for a reef setup or will one or the other work? Would going the diy route be worth it (I like building things)? Where to you install it in the system (like in a certain chamber in a sump)?

Thanks

You don't need either for a reef. Very few people use a reactor -- and those that do have a very high SPS coral load (they consume a lot of calcium). If you have to add calcium to keep up with corals' demand, dosing liquid or powder calcium supplements works for most people and is easy (and cheap). If your tank is heavily stocked with SPS and you can't keep up with calcium demand with daily dosing, then I'd look into a reactor to keep those levels stable.

And sometimes, you don't even need to dose calcium -- water changes will keep the levels up.

Back