Kalk Disaster

Bifferwine

I am a girl
Does kalk go bad after a while?

In my continuing fight against dinos, I started dripping kalk into my tanks for top off water last night. I followed the instructions, and mixed about 2 tsp per gallon into a 5 gallon bucket of RO water. Then I started dripping it into both my tanks (I tied knots in the tubing).

Within a couple hours, my 10 gallon contest tank was completely white. Every ricordea had spilled their guts out and had changed to a brown color. Obviously I stopped the drip immediately. I tested the pH -- it was 8.8 or higher. I didn't have any new water made up, so I started changing out that water for the water in my 90, thinking at least it would be diluted out in the 90.

After turning over 100% of the 10 gallon tank's volume, the pH was still 8.8 or higher, so I added some vinegar. I tried not to add a lot, but the pH dropped to 7.2.

In the meantime, the same thing happened to my 90 -- the pH was testing at 8.8 or higher, and I added vinegar, and it dropped too low.

I didn't have any baking soda at home, so I added a whole bottle of 8.2 pH buffer to both tanks, which didn't even budge the pH.

So then I ran out to the 24 hour pharmacy and bought two boxes of baking soda. First I brought the nano back up to about 8.0, but even after using both boxes of baking soda, the highest I could get the 90 was 7.8 (and that took about 2 hours).

The animals in the 90 looked bad. The fish (the ones that I could see) were on the bottom breathing heavily. All the corals had stringy mucous coming off of them. The mini brittle stars and bristleworms in the rocks were all coming out. But nothing appeared dead (yet).

By this time, it was 2 am, so I said, "Eff it, I'm going to bed, there's nothing more I can do right now."

This morning, I got up early and tested both tanks. The 10 gallon is still at about 8.0 but is really cloudy and the rics look awful. The 90 is still at around 7.8 but the animals are looking better -- almost normal. I still haven't seen about half my fish, but the ones I did see looked better.

I couldn't figure out what went wrong -- so I checked the container of kalk. Which expired in 2006.

Was that the problem? Does the potency of kalk increase exponentially once it ages?

I was having such a nervous breakdown last night. I was crying so hard I was almost throwing up -- and my stomach still feels awful this morning. I felt HORRIBLE. I kept telling NDB that I am the worst pet owner in the world. I couldn't believe this was happening. I was in such shock, my hands were shaking so badly I could barely use the test kit. I only got about 3 hours of sleep because I wasn't able to rest. It was a VERY rough night.

Luckily NDB has today off. I'll instruct him to bring in the big trash can from the shed and start making new saltwater. I'll do a 100% change on the 10 tank (which is really cloudy) and change as much as I can on the 90.

I feel like crap. WHAT HAPPENED?

i have never had kalk go bad my jug of kalk is around a year old at least. i only mix about 2 gal at a time than use a airline flow valve to adjust the flow rate

pickling lime 3 bucks and works great but hope you like corraline algae cause my tanks turned purple quick.

may i request more information on this???

specific product, quantity, dosing regiment?

i've allways had a bit of a challenge getting my corraline to grow on anything but my glass, so i'm hoping to find something that helps... cuuse apparently purple-up only makes it grow on glass in my house...

Biff, so sorry about the Kalk problem. I hope it will be ok. I also dripped Kalk for my dinos, but I did one additional step prior to starting the drip. This thread had some awesome information about the chemistry of kalk drips and could be a good informative read:

https://www.livingreefs.com/kalwasser-and-dose-t538.html

I mixed my kalk powder with the vinegar BEFORE adding it to the quart of water to drip into my tank.

Biff,It sounds like your drip may have been set to drip to fast.
Even when I was dripping to fight dinos,It would take about 24 hours to empty the gallon jug I was using.
I had the jug set up with a small valve on the lid to control how much air was let in as the drop fell off the drip line.Then another small micro ball valve on the drip line itself.
That allowed me to set the drip rate very slow,which helped keep from spiking the PH all at once.

Well if it wasn't the expiration date on the kalk, it was either that it was mixed wrong or dripped too fast. Grrrr... I will have to find a better way to control it other than using a knot in the line.

Biff I'm sorry this has happened to you. Hopefully everything will recover. :x:

This luck of yours has got to stop! I'm even getting discouraged. :( :frustrat:

Really sucks Biff, but at the same time does not make you a bad pet owner, you are trying to help your fish. I would agree with yote, sounds like the drip was fast, and I am sure you have more knowledge than I do in a Kalk Drip, but but if your calcium is stable and pH was fine,adding kalk will instantly rocket these things right? Also, if you dripped out an entire gallon of what you siphoned after mixing or if it mixed bad when it was settling that might also have affected it. Just my little experience in Kalk.

I'm sorry to hear this biff. I hope everything works out for you.

I have been using kalk for about 2 months. I dripped for a while at 2 tbsp in 1 gal ro daily.I suggest instead of tying knots to use a flow control valve.

And can I ask how you contain the kalk solution? A soda bottle upside down isn't so good because the kalk settles to the bottom and down the tube to your tank. A container with a siphon to your tank isn't always better because as the prepared solution drops in your bucket then the flow through the siphon drops too so you can't get a steady drip for long.

Sorry. Double post. Dang phone. It's pretty bad that I just can't wait til I get home to get on lr...

Last edited:
Back