Kalkwasser - Use it? Problems with it?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I've heard that kalkwasser can cause issues with Ph? Anyone use it or had problems with it? I'm trying to dose both alk and cal from one source.

I can/will make your pH rise really fast if you dump too much in at once. It must be dripped into the system. I tried it, but it was too much of a hassle, plus it couldn't keep up with my systems demand. You can only make the kalk solution at a certain strength.....2 tablespoons per gal max. So, if you are using kalk as your top off, you have to hope the amount of water evaporated and replaced by the kalk solution is enough to keep your alk and calcium levels steady.

I'm just trying to determine the easiest way to dose alk and cal. I could spend $300 on two BRS dosing pumps and digitial timers but I would hope there is an easier way.

i just dump a cup of alk and cal in my tank every day it takes less than 5 min. and i occasionally use kalk and drip it at night.

i just dump a cup of alk and cal in my tank every day it takes less than 5 min. and i occasionally use kalk and drip it at night.

Because I travel a lot. I'm trying to get my tank to the point where it can go a week with no maintenance. (I have a neighbor come in and feed and refill the ATO reservoir.)

Tank maintenance isn't so hard but automating things is where it gets complicated.

yes yes it is hard if you are not around to much i would check into the medical pumps that ccapt linked to i have been thinkink about trying a couple but all my money is tied up trying to get my new tank up and going.

I have money for one of the BRS pumps. It has excellent reviews. I saw the link for the dosing pump I really don't have room for it. The BRS will fit in my cabinet. But it only doses one thing at a time.

Back