Kati's 28 Gallon JBJ LED Nano

And 20 hrs later we're seeing brown algae on rocks and sand! :) You can tell the newer rocks lol

algae.jpg

He must've worked at petco LOL!!!!

That's why I love my LFS....I know almost all of the employees including the owner, and they're all super helpful -- they give sound advice, and they're not pushy.

Your aquascaping looks awesome! Do the table shrimp. You'll cycle in no time.

He must've worked at petco LOL!!!!

That's why I love my LFS....I know almost all of the employees including the owner, and they're all super helpful -- they give sound advice, and they're not pushy.

Your aquascaping looks awesome! Do the table shrimp. You'll cycle in no time.

Thanks!!

I didn't want to toss anything in there until I got the skimmer set up. That came in and is now running.

How much 'foam' should be going to the cup? I am not sure what this is supposed to look like when it is working correctly. :)

Well, you don't really need a skimmer while cycling because you might slow down the process. For once, you actually want the muck to stay in there so it turns into ammonia, so that the bacteria that converrts ammonia into nitrites get into your tank.

Yeah, you get that sometimes...I've had the same type of interaction with some LFS employees and it's a little disturbing, but most times I meet people who are really interested in helping you in the hobby. Maybe the guy was having an off day.

Ther are definitely two different schools of thought on how to cycle a tank.

Maybe somebody will correct me on this, I'm not familiar with small tanks at all, but you may want to point your powerhead straight out, or maybe even slightly up. You want to have the top of the water rippling pretty good.

your tank is coming along nicely.

Last edited:
Yeah, you get that sometimes...I've had the same type of interaction with some LFS employees and it's a little disturbing, but most times I meet people who are really interested in helping you in the hobby. Maybe the guy was having an off day.

Ther are definitely two different schools of thought on how to cycle a tank.

Maybe somebody will correct me on this, I'm not familiar with small tanks at all, but you may want to point your powerhead straight out, or maybe even slightly up. You want to have the top of the water rippling pretty good.

your tank is coming along nicely.

I do have the 2 stock PHs pointing more towards the surface.... The K1 is blowing across the top of the LR....

And it is beginning to look a little icky with the brn stuff growing now LOL ewww

It's not hard but, there are limitations if you use the stock media basket (it's extremely small, and not all of the water flows through it). Someone on the nano-reef forum made one for me, (you can see the difference) it allows all the water to flow thru the basket. Right now, I have filter floss in the top chamber and the middle will be chaeto and the bottom will have some LR (once I get it).

Kati and BL1 - Great to see that my Pure Nano Media basket made it over to this site. BL thanks for sharing this. Kati, thanks for introducing me to living reefs. Had never been on here before. Very cool site and seems like a great crowd. Let me know if you have any questions about the media basket.

PS - Great start to your tank

Kati and BL1 - Great to see that my Pure Nano Media basket made it over to this site. BL thanks for sharing this. Kati, thanks for introducing me to living reefs. Had never been on here before. Very cool site and seems like a great crowd. Let me know if you have any questions about the media basket.

Awesome to see you here!! And you should have an email shortly. Woot!

I'm having fun with my tank. :) This is a whole new experiance for me. I have always been a FW gal. :)

Not a problem, I'm always happy to recommend good products to others.

Had a Nitrite spike yesterday. Today there are just traces. Yea!! I am seeing a small reading (5) in Nitrates now as well. (Was 0) Looks like I am getting closer. :)

You should be almost done now Kati, your nitrates probably won't go too high since there's no bioload in your tank. My tank only took a day and a half to finish cycling once the nitrites started.

You should be almost done now Kati, your nitrates probably won't go too high since there's no bioload in your tank. My tank only took a day and a half to finish cycling once the nitrites started.

Ya, I am getting excited! Woot.

"Soon" I will have something more than rocks. Tho one I got from the LFS has a nice coraline cover. And it is getting healthier daily.

Tank is 1 week old today.

That is a kickass cycle. Kati, you and BL are going to convince me to have a nano in the bedroom before this is all done with...love the all in one, upscale look to these tanks.

That is a kickass cycle. Kati, you and BL are going to convince me to have a nano in the bedroom before this is all done with...love the all in one, upscale look to these tanks.
That's exactly where mine is and it's great just getting to look at it while I'm studying

Mine is in the living room. But since I work from home on the computer, that is the perfect place for me. :)

Skimmer is skimming. Nitrites are almost 0. I am a happy camper. Got timers for my Daylight and Actinics. That's really nice. I don't have to worry about remembering a schedule. :) I have a fuge light on order. Should be here in about 3-5 days. Then I can add the Macro in. Got the extra test kits I need for reef. I am really happy with the progression so far. :)

The LFS ordered an 11" hang on for me. It's a PC. They have one at their store on their nice little nano HOB fuge and really like it. Doesn't throw off a bunch of loose light, and lights the fuge nicely. When I have it in hand I'll tell model etc. I ordered over the phone.

Back