Keeping Aquariums Cool in Hot Weather?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Gawd I'm full of questions today LOL

Weather forcast for the next 2 days is supposed to be mid to upper 90s. I don't have an air conditioner or a chiller. What can I do to keep the temp in my 10g manageable? Was planning on picking up a clip-on fan tonight, keeping all lights off, keeping windows closed and blinds down in my house. Will that be enough? My tank runs around 79-80 normally.

I'm from the northeast... 90's don't last for long but it ain't just an occasional thing either. You might want to look into a portable ac unit or something eventually. End of july and early august should still net you some pretty high temps, no?

I'd go for the fan method.

And don't y'all yankee's believe in AC? I know y'all winters are on the cool side,but come on,gets hot up there in the summer too.:mrgreen:

And don't y'all yankee's believe in AC? I know y'all winters are on the cool side,but come on,gets hot up there in the summer too.:mrgreen:

My parents live in Massachusetts and they get a few days every year where it gets crazy hot.

I've had my AC running since March, so I can't imagine living anywhere where my house isn't 74 degrees year round! :D

My parents live in Massachusetts and they get a few days every year where it gets crazy hot.

I've had my AC running since March, so I can't imagine living anywhere where my house isn't 74 degrees year round! :D

Honey,If my house gets above 70, I figure the AC has quit.:D Of course that's why I keep a high electric bill too.:grumble:

Thanks everyone! I do have a small window air conditioner for my bedroom, but its still up in the attic, and isn't nearly powerful enough to put in my dining room where the tank is - then it would try to cool the entire rest of the apartment and my electric bill would be ridiculous. Very few people up here have central air - its definitely a luxury, though I don't think many people find it a necessity. Most people just put a window unit in or go with fans. Yeah, we get a few heat waves every summer, but most of the time its in the 70s-80s and tolerable (at least to me!) If I had my own place I would look into central air, but since I'm still moving around from rental to rental that's not an option. I will freeze up some extra baggies of water tonight just in case I need them. I don't think tomorrow will be too bad - sure it will be hot outside, but I think it will take several hours to heat up inside. Thursday might be a different story. I haven't been through a summer yet in this place, but at my last apartment, it would easily get to 87-90+ inside on super hot days. I've been known to take my cats to my office before on those days because I don't want them to roast! ;) Anyhow, I spent the evening making a screen top and picked up a small fan after work, so I'm as prepared as I can be. I guess this will be a good trial run for the rest of the summer. I'll let ya know how it goes ;)

I'd go for the fan method.

Hahaha...i have ac, heck, it's been running for the last 4 days straight. My house stays between 72-75°, and the tank stays at 80°.

I'm hoping if I leave the fan on, then the heater can just kick in if it gets too cold, since I'll be at work all day and not at home to watch it. I might take a trip home at lunch to check on it and turn the fan on then if needed.

I live in PA and I've never not had an air conditioner. I don't think I could survive without central air! haha.
My apartment remains a constant 72 degrees year-round. :-)

Personally I'd rather pay a little extra and be comfortable. I couldn't stand to sit in a room that is like 90+ degrees.

Back