keeping salt water stingrays

paulc

Reefing newb
Hello

I have a 135 gallon salt tank with a wet dry, protein skimmer and UV sterilizer. I have had success with every fish I have bought except stingrays. My water is perfect with no ammonia, nitrates or nitrites but I can't seem to keep a saltwater stingray for more than a few weeks. Any advice?

don't buy them. they will get BIG and they need a lot of swimming space and a large sand bottom to lay on. do a google search on "1700 gallon sting ray tank" if you want to know what a system needs to keep them. they guy that built the tank set out with stingrays specificly in mind for his tank and it's still debateable if this set up has enough open sand for them.

I would pass on the stingrays.

*Taenlura lymma - Bluespotted Ribbontail Ray - Bluespotted Stingray
*Minimum aquarium size 300 gal
*Can be difficult to feed. offer live grass shrimp or marine worms to initiate a feeding response. Some may accept pieces of fresh shrimp, scallop, ormarine fish flesh impaled on a feeding stick or dropped onto the substrate. Feed once a day.
*Will eat ornamental crustaceans and small fishes, needs a broad exponse of unclutter sand bottom.
*Rays rarely do well in home aquariums, Many never accept food, others do but then suddently die or cease feeding. May be sensitive to low levels of copper and contaminants in tap water, use only R/) or deionized water. Provide ample swimming room, a large open area of sand, and little or no decor, and a secure ledge under which it can hide.

These are some very general items that need to be considered and by no means are a complete list of what needs to be done to keep rays. hope this helps to show that rays are not recommended for home aquariums.

Has anyone had success with stingrays? If so can we see the set up?
I don't see them in my near future but would love to keep one some day.
Are Califonia rays easyer than Bluespotted rays?

Cali rays get bigger than bluespotted rays. they are more hardy tho. you would need a minimum of 600 for the cali ray. SOFT sand, not crushed coral. the hard part is keeping them eating. they are so difficult. tempermental feeders and prone to up and die on you.

SOuthern stingrays get huge but are really hardy, 1000 gallon plus there.

I seem to remember a japanese skate that looks just like a stingray but is more hardy, I cannot remember size requirements. may be an alternative

-Doc

My LFS has a 300g tank with 2 of them in there, but the tank is only like 16inches high and very long and wide.

i know hes had them for at least 2 years now. next time i go there ill ask him what his secrets are.

Back