Kent salt

yote

In Memoriam
Has anybody that uses Kent salt noticed their tank clouding up after a water change?
I used Oceanic salt from day one,with no problems except for the need to add a dose of Reef Builder once a week to maintain alkalinity.Decided to try the kent,so I picked up a bucket full.
I've done 4,15 gallon water changes with the kent,and all 4 have made my tank cloudy for an hour or so.
Calcium,alkalinity,PH and stuff all checkes out alright(little lower than I like it though).
Anybody else noticed this problem?

I never gotten any cloudiness from Kent salt the past 10 years....either bought premade mix from the LFS or when I mixed it myself.

I've used Oceanic without a problem except that my calcium always test at the low end. I wonder if Oceanic is low on calcium.

Salty,
No body around here sales reefcrystals.And I can get Oceanic for 20 bucks a bucket.

Sen,
When I used Oceanic.My calcium never dropped below 480.It would be 500 in a fresh mix.Alkalinity was always 9DKH.
Also noticed that my coralline algae growth has slowed and the color isnt as good.

Most local reefers claim that Oceanic has low alkalinity.

When I used Oceanic,the alkalinity would test at 9DKH right out of the bucket.But one dose of Reef Builder would always bring it up to 14.
With the kent,my calcium dont want to go over 400 and I'm having to dose reef builder at least twice a week.
But the biggest thing that gets is getting me is the cloudiness.It always goes away after about an hour-hour and a half.But I dont like it.

the Kent i bought a year ago was in a little bag that made 10 gallons of salt. and it clouded the water and i never bought it again. i have used reef crystals and crystal sea. i prefer oceanic over them all.

Oceanic has high calcium and a lower alkalinity. Reef Crystals is by Instant Ocean, it has the same high alkalinity with lowered alkalinity, where as Instant Ocean has a lower calcium and higher alkalinity. It is easier to have a high calcium if your alkalinity is not very high. Just correct your alkalinity to your tanks alkalinity before adding water. And make sure the new water is well aerated. You can raise the calcium level real easily to 450 or even 500 with a low to moderate alkalinity, but you can not raise the calcium level above around 300 to 350 if you have a high alkalinity.

yeah Oceanic is known for high calcium and lower alk. I have never used Kent before however. I am using Instant Ocean right now.

Back