kenya tree not opening

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
So Ive had this Kenya tree for a couple months now and it was always open and healthy and growing. I just added a protein skimmer on Friday. A Rio nano skimmer and ever since then the Kenya won't open. I do weekly water changes and I have LED lighting system. Moderate water flow. Temp at 79. It hasn't opened since Friday... does anyone know what's going on? The sg is at 1.024.

Found a quote for you mate.
"When stressed acutely, or simply as part of a weekly cycle, they will close up (not fully) and turn a greyish-purply colour. They will remain this way for several days, then throw off a layer of mucous and become good as new."
Is that it?? Or maybe its because you have added the skimmer maybe??
But most likely its just having an off week, they have been known to not open for days at a time.

Last edited:
It is a leather. As Waadi described, all leathers "shed" periodically. I wouldn't worry, it's impossible to kill those things! :)

Thanks guys. It's fully closed it looks like to me. But it is a greyish purple. I'll give it a few more days and then start worrying if it still isn't open.

Yup, the day will come when you see it dropping little babies and wishing it would stop! :D

I have ripped them right off the rock and the stump grows a new one. Tough coral.

+1 that thing grew like a weed in my tank. I gave it away when it started cropping up in places I couldnt reach and started suffocating my non photosynthetic corals. good luck though, or maybe not. lol :)

Back