Kenya tree

Bifferwine

I am a girl
Hi,
I've had a Kenya tree coral for about three or four months now, it's been doing well, at least doubled in size since I got it. In the last two weeks, its branches have been breaking off. BUT they are growing into new baby Kenya trees where they're landing, and all of the new ones are growing quickly and looking healthy too. The original "parent" is looking very sad, only has a couple branches left. Is something wrong with it, or is this normal? Water parameters are all fine, all other corals/inverts are doing fine. Thanks.

This is normal with certain type of kenya trees normally the brownish red ones. It is also why I don't keep them anymore, because when they get happy the reproduce like crazy... and they will soon be all over your tank.

Sounds like your tank is doing very well, now you just have to decide if you want to keep the kenya and all its babies.

Happy reefing.
Brandon

Yeah, so far I have the big "mom" and about eight babies... Maybe I'll keep one or two, but I'll probably have to bring the rest to the LFS... Thank you very much for the info!

I just got a brownish/red kenya tree! So, if mine makes babies, do I just pull them off the rock to take them to the LFS? How did you end up taking care of yours?

Haha holy crap! A n00b biff! Why did I never think to look back for biffy noob posts.

In retrospect don't you almost wish you never got that kenya tree! I mean learning experience yes, pain in the ass. Def!

I just got a brownish/red kenya tree! So, if mine makes babies, do I just pull them off the rock to take them to the LFS? How did you end up taking care of yours?

And to answer your question mamajones, I would remove as many of those little guys as possible. They will spread like fire. I'm sure yote will chime in and call them his coined phrase "kenya weed" and it won't just happen once, once certain parts of it grow too large it will break off and spread again. Nature of the beast. If you ignore it and let it spread it will be that much harder to remove at a later date when you want to make more room for other corals. Believe me, I learned the hard way thinking it would be cool to just let them spread and have a few in my tank when I first started out.

My guess is the LFS won't really credit much for you on little kenya trees.

well, I guess that's what I get for buying something before I knew about it. lesson learned! maybe I can just take the little rock with her on it back and trade it for a different frag.

well, I guess that's what I get for buying something before I knew about it. lesson learned! maybe I can just take the little rock with her on it back and trade it for a different frag.

I bet its its already too late:death:You'll have a 100,000 of the things in there with in a week:grumble:
Personally,I'd rather have out of control aiptasias than the kenya weeds.
I've been trying to get rid of them for over a year now.Went as far as taking the rocks out and scrubbing them with a wire brush,shot the kenyas up with liquid calcium.Shot them up with joe's juice(injected straight into the stalk)Nothing kills them.I firmly believe they would thrive in the septic tank.

Last edited:
Yep, after all the things I've read here about Kenya Trees, they quickly went off my list. Better to learn from the experience of others.

Back