Kenya Trees are dying.......Why?

shihtzu217

Reefing newb
Okay I'm confused, I got seven Kenya Trees as hitchhikers on my LR when I purchased it and it survived Cycling and has been doing great until a few weeks ago. One LFS store said I needed to feed CoralVite....I bought it and started feeding it....Kenya's started looking weak. I went to a better LFS and he said I needed to direct more flow on them so that they could "shed" and also sold me Phytoplankton for my feather duster and leather coral, and a couple mushrooms. They have declined significantly and today 2 died broke off and sank to the bottom. I'm confused. Why? All my water tests are great as of Friday, I am going to yet another LFS tomarrow to pick up a Calcium test(which I don't have yet) and will take a water sample with me to verify my results but I am completely confused. I am picking up a protien skimmer tomarrow too that I am getting a great deal on Seaclone 100 for only $15. May not be the best on the market but is better than nothing right.

Kenya trees reproduce by breaking apart and dropping branches everywhere. I suspect this is what yours are doing. The momma kenya tree will look like crap for a while, but will come back with a vengeance.

There really is no way to kill a kenya tree, so I bet you they are just breeding :).

:mrgreen: good! Thank you Biff, I hope you are right. I kinda like them, they were my first life in the tank y'know!:D Hey about a month ago I added a bottle of Copepods how long do I need to let them reproduse before I can get a mandarin? We want a Mandarin sooooooo bad.

You know everything don't you! When I move to Az in a couple years , I want you to come help me design my tank there. I've been following your build thread and I am SOOOOOOO JEALOUS.

biff is exactly right. my kenya looked bad... now there are like 5 in my tank from dropping branches. i left them hoping they would just die.... but somehow they found spots to grow. as far as the seaclone i guess 15 dollars you cant pass up. i have never used one but i think i was talking to biff once and she said it was about the worst skimmer ever. could be wrong though memory isnt always the best

So the branches that fell into the sand .......should I flush them or leave them or put them up on a rock ledge to see if they re-root or what ?

Thats up to you Shihtzu.They will grow on the sand just as good as on the rock.
I've got some Kenyas that have grown up through the rock in my 75.They were down in a crack,and I know they weren't getting any light.But some how,they have sprung up just say HEHEHE we aint leaving.
Hate them dang weeds.

okay I got another question, I'll try this instead of posting a new thread. I have a large Feather Duster, want to get a couple more but will they breed? lol Yes I'm blonde! I know it sounds stupid but I guess what I am looking for is....will I have a problem with too many of them in a 55? I have a bunch of tiny one's on my LR but I'm sure they are a different kind. I am still waiting for my tank to get better established and the Feather duster adds a lot of texture and movement so would like to get 1-2 more for visual appeal but don't want to have them breeding like rabbits or something. :shock:

some featherdusters, usually the smaller species may reproduce asexually by budding or fission.... but they usually dont so i wouldnt count on it

mine let out ...and lets be appropriate here ,eggs and sperm and i have these litle baby onse every where so what i do is put the in my fuge and have them grow till there about 2inches.and i scrape them off the glass when there little buds

About your mandarin, if you put the pods in your display tank and you do not have a fuge, the mandarin will eat all your pods very quickly. If you must get a mandarin (which are not recommended for new tanks or tanks without fuges), get one that you know already eats frozen food. Otherwise it will eventually starve to death, even if you did dump a bottle of live pods in your tank.

yes, several feather dusters will be good for your system. since they are filter feeders they will help get rid of detritus and organics from the water column. if you have several of them in a tank that's not really mature it may be necassary to dose you tank with plankton, which i think you said you were allready doing, so you should be fine.
i agree with the other on the mandarin. you will need very established fuge and lots of live rock or they will not live long. they can wipe out a fully establish tank of pods in just a week or two.

for a dragonist have a hatch n feeder established tank at least 7 months with a fuge
i found out the hard way:death:

Piggy,
This is a Mandrine.
mandrineagain.jpg

Back