Kevdogg's 265g

Wow, that's a heck of a tank to move, best of luck to you. My wishes for a smooth and easy transition. By the way how are the angels doing, is the HLLE clearing up.

Wow, that's a heck of a tank to move, best of luck to you. My wishes for a smooth and easy transition. By the way how are the angels doing, is the HLLE clearing up.

The blue is doing much better, but I think will always have a slight scar on the sides. My emperor however looks like it might be getting worse. Ive noticed the lateral line seems to be getting longer, his face never really got any better. His dorsal fin has also been degrading on the front edge??? They are being fed nori sheets every day and sponge cubes every other day with spectra pure pellets every day soaked in the sponge liquid... For some reason I cannot remember what the heck its really called... :grumble: Ive also been soaking the pellets in vitamins thinking it might help. Sadly I dont think that he is going to ever recover. However he still eats like a pig and is definitely the boss of the tank.

After the move the next step is the sump upgrade. At this rate it might be at the end of the year. I have patience. :mrgreen: Then the angels will be moved into the sump while I add a few less aggressive fish. Hence the reason for the new sump which required the new stand. Its a long process but in the end it will be worth it.

This showed up yesterday!

6-5-12 004.jpg

6-5-12 006.jpg

6-5-12 030.jpg

I'm coming into this post a little late, but with that big of a tank are you going to run a controller? Or do you already have a controller? Reason I'm asking is that in a month I'm going to take on the DIY acrylic tank build. Will be about 160 gallons. Been wanting to talk to peeps about controllers or manually doing everything.

I have a Reef Keeper Lite, which is only running a 4 outlet power strip and a temp probe. I didnt see the point in doing the PH probe due to the fact that the PH stays pretty consistent. When it comes down to it my controller is pretty much just a glorified timer at this point, but as you can see I am still working on building and adding to my setup. I'm sure that I'll be adding more modules to the system as I go.

I know chichimom79 has a controller, she had issues from the factory but now I think they resolved it. I also just saw Kman is setting up a controller, you might want to hit up his thread, looks like he is just setting it up. There are several others that are running controllers as well.

I would definitely get a controller as it makes life a lot easier even if its just a timer setup. Just make sure to look at all the brands, they all get expensive!

Last edited:
Tank move is done, still working on more plumbing but everything is set back up.

New stand completed

100_2792.jpg

Old setup

100_2790.jpg

Starting water transfer

100_2791.jpg

Empty

100_2793.jpg

After getting all the water out of the tank I found out that wet sand is a lot heavier then I expected. We ended up removing all the sand in order to move the tank. I decided to cut back on the sand by about 80 lbs...

New plumbing

100_2794.jpg

Tank back against the wall and full

100_2796.jpg

Left

100_2797.jpg

Right

100_2798.jpg

A little cloudy still and in desperate need of a new aquascape but everyone is happy!

100_2803.jpg

Looks good, but did you clean the sand before putting water back in the tank? If not, you could have some serious water quality issues coming up.

Vlaminigi Tang
Blue Angel
Emperor Angel
Dogface puffer
Hawkfish
Fiji Blue Devil Damsel

I would love to have a lion fish but the wife doesn't think they are "pretty"... :frustrate:
And the puffer is???? And personally I don't like eels.

Vlaminigi Tang
Blue Angel
Emperor Angel
Dogface puffer
Hawkfish
Fiji Blue Devil Damsel

I would love to have a lion fish but the wife doesn't think they are "pretty"... :frustrate:

huh too bad lion fish are awesome!

Vlaminigi Tang
Blue Angel
Emperor Angel
Dogface puffer
Hawkfish
Fiji Blue Devil Damsel

Maybe she's just scared you'll get stung ;)

Maybe she's just scared you'll get stung ;)

And I Quote, "I dont like them (lionfish), its a ugly fish". Personally I love the look and would love to do a real predator tank. However I'll play nice for now, maybe a nice angler suggestion will change things! :D

Back