Keyhole angles

From what Ive seen and read,As much as I like the angels,they'll not be one in my reef tank.If I ever decide to do a FOWLR then I'll get an angel or 2.

It all depends on what you are willing to risk. I am willing to risk all my corals for the pursuit of AMAZINGLY beautiful fish. So far, I have been lucky. I have found that most angels can be "reef safe" if you feed them enough. There is a myth about angels eating corals as part of their diet. I have read so many articles to the contrary. They will nip if not fed to their liking - and that nipping will cause most corals to close up, and the closing up will kill them over time. The more they nip, the faster death will occur. I feed 4-5 times a day and my angels (big ones) never so much as fart on my corals. The keyhole is no different, although I have not purchased one, yet. I have been eyeing one as well for my work tank, but will probably choose the larger, Blue Ring angel instead.

In short, if you are willing to take the risk, you may be pleased... or not. There is no guarantee. Every species has their demon-fish. (Mine was a purple tang that killed three of his tankmates.) Good luck.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I feed 4-5 times a day and my angels (big ones) never so much as fart on my corals. The keyhole is no different, although I have not purchased one, yet. I have been eyeing one as well for my work tank, but will probably choose the larger, Blue Ring angel instead.

In short, if you are willing to take the risk, you may be pleased... or not. There is no guarantee. Every species has their demon-fish. (Mine was a purple tang that killed three of his tankmates.) Good luck.

3-4 times a day..... Do you have a job? Not to mention, how many skimmers do you have? Im thinking about taking the risk..... The one at my LFS has been there for 3 weeks and looks great! Since he shows no signs of a parasite (nor do the other 2 fish the tank and they have been there longer) I may Qtank him in my nano.... (Not my regular Qtank it has copper).... because I have some frags in there.

Silly Hawkman,

Of course I have a job. I also have a wife who is amazingly supportive of my addiction. I feed them a cube when I leave for work. She feeds them a cube around noon-time. I hit them again with a cube at 5pm and I give two cubes at 9pm, just before the lights go out. I feed a combo of emerald entree, marine cuisine, mysis shrimp, plankton, and angel / butterfly preparations (it has sponge in it). I have a good skimmer, an Excalaber and I remove the cup every three days. I also do massive water changes weekly. My parameters are perfect. It may seem like a lot, but I have big fish and I like to keep them from nipping at my corals.

If I were you, I would take the plunge with the keyhole. I want to send you guys a link to a video of my tank with my angels and corals. I just have to wait til I can figure out how to shoot it with my wife's new digital camera. I hope the video will change a few minds about having angels in their reef.

As long as you are willing to accept the risk go for it. angels are not to be trusted with corals. some have had angels for years and no problem, and then one day one decides to have a change of diet and bam, you expensive corals are decimated. I have kept pygmy angels in a reef tank in the past and accepted the occasional nip on the corals but fed very well. Im not intending to keep angels in my present system due to the unpredictability where corals are concerned and I have to say the angels are some of my personal favorites. good luck.

3-4 times a day..... Do you have a job? Not to mention, how many skimmers do you have? Im thinking about taking the risk..... The one at my LFS has been there for 3 weeks and looks great! Since he shows no signs of a parasite (nor do the other 2 fish the tank and they have been there longer) I may Qtank him in my nano.... (Not my regular Qtank it has copper).... because I have some frags in there.

Whats the matter Hawk!Feeding 3-4 times a day to much work.Maybe if you weren't on LR and playing video games all day you might have the time.You dogged me out for wanting a top-off.Hmmmmm......maybe if you weren't lugging milk jugs to top off evaporation.

Whats the matter Hawk!Feeding 3-4 times a day to much work.Maybe if you weren't on LR and playing video games all day you might have the time.You dogged me out for wanting a top-off.Hmmmmm......maybe if you weren't lugging milk jugs to top off evaporation.

ROFLMAO....... darn it, I guess I need to look into a automatic feeder now.

haha yeah hawk sitting around and playing video games all day. i can personally back him up saying that he has more than his hands full with work and school. its probably hard for him to just feed once a day. I guess you better look into that auto feeder haha

Give it a try, they are beautiful. I have a Holacanthus tricolor (rock beauty angel) in my reef, never have made damage to a coral, sometimes nip my brain but do not hurt him even some times my tomato clown nip it so try it if you have luc you will have a amazing fish in your reef to be proud... sorry for my english.

Back