Kh and Ca are too high!

Sohal

Reefing newb
Around 2 months ago I added kalk wasser powder over several days to boost kh level. Considering my big tank I though nothing bad would happen. After seeing my newly added fish scratching their body and face to rocks and sands I tested several parameters of water today. Results are:
KH 15
PH 8.2
Ca 500 (Maybe even more)
Mg 1280
No3 10
Temp 29 C and salinity 1.022

So, what is the best way to approach this condition?
Also, My tank is a FOWLR one with 1 year from start up and I also have an exteral sump.
No ref or ATS!
Waiting for your advice

Last edited:
+1 Smitty

You should be able to bring the levels down through your normal weekly water changes. I'm curious why you started dosing in the first place? Typically you only need to dose if you have a heavily stocked hard coral tank. For a FOWLR tank, regular water changes should be all you need to keep parameters in check.

Welcome!

+1 Smitty

You should be able to bring the levels down through your normal weekly water changes. I'm curious why you started dosing in the first place? Typically you only need to dose if you have a heavily stocked hard coral tank. For a FOWLR tank, regular water changes should be all you need to keep parameters in check.

Welcome!

+1 Fishy, a FOWLR tank doesn't really have the need for dosing....

+1 Fishy, a FOWLR tank doesn't really have the need for dosing....
Thank you all of you for your replies.
It's true that my tank is a FOWLR but because I didn't do regular water change I needed to keep parameters balanced by adding Kalkwasser!
So, I will start by 10 percent water change and then check parameters again and keep doing this till everything go back to normal. I hope that my large Sohal surgeon fish will survive!.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Even if you hadn't been doing regular water changes, your CA and kH would only be depleted if you had corals in your tank that were pulling them out of the water column to grow skeleton. Did you test and find that your levels were low and that's why you started dosing? At this point I'd do at least a 20% water change and then 10% weekly after that to get yourself back on schedule. You do want to be careful not to drop alk too fast as it can impact pH.

Even if you hadn't been doing regular water changes, your CA and kH would only be depleted if you had corals in your tank that were pulling them out of the water column to grow skeleton. Did you test and find that your levels were low and that's why you started dosing? At this point I'd do at least a 20% water change and then 10% weekly after that to get yourself back on schedule. You do want to be careful not to drop alk too fast as it can impact pH.
All my problems are because of my kh test kit which was showing a wrong low level of KH, that's why I started dosing. Considering total volume of around 1000 liters of water in both display and sump tank, I can only change 100 liters of water in the first try!
Is there anywhere in the forum that I can read more about effects of high KH?
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Back