KH/GH Parameters

galonso52

Reefing newb
This is my first year of salt water experience so I am learning as I go. I need help to lower my general hardness(GH) because it is off the charts. I am using an API drop tester and the water in the tube never turned from orange to green after filling the tube with drops and not to mention getting tired of counting drops. My calcium is at about 420 and carbonate hardness(KH) is 10dkh or 179ppm. I was told to do water changes to lower the GH but I haven't seen it come down because it is still off the charts. I also noticed that I lost my torch coral which has lasted about four months now and I am not sure if this had anything to do it with it. :dunno: Any advice would be appreciated.

Your not going to lower the general hardness of saltwater,unless you remove all the salt.
You alkalinity (KH) is fine,and your calcium is fine. Dont even worry worry about the GH,just throw that card out the window and dont even think about it.None of those had anything to do with your torch dieing.
That could have been caused by any number of things.

BTW
Welcome to the reef and the addiction.

I thought that was the case but I couldn't find anything to prove it to myself. I had just cleaned my tank and I had the salinity a little high which has come down after the water changes. Do you think that could have killed the torch? I guess I just got paranoid after the torch died. Should I check any other parameters before replacing it with another coral?

A sudden change in the salinity could be the culprit.Was this a sudden death or a slow progression?

rbw_welc.gif

Good one Yote:D

Is there anything else in the tank? Did anything else die? Did you make sure the water change temp was the same as the tank? What kind of water did you use for the change?

Oh and welcome

The salinity was between 1.025 and 1.026 and now its between 1.022 and 1.023. I did not verify if the water was the same temperature. Should I always verify the temp? It was a slow death since Friday till yesterday afternoon. Nothing else died but my hermits have been eating my snails lately.

1.025-.026 is ideal. 1.022-.023 is low. I don't think it would kill a torch, but it's possible. Temp doesn't have to be exact but close.

Slowly bring your salinity back up to 1.025 or 026.Coral and inverts do better when its in that range.And always make the temp as close as possible when doing a water change.Quick changes in temp and salinity can be fatal.

Back