KH Question

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !
So Today i did another test since my Ca. was kinda high a couple days ago at 520 ppm.

So Heres what i got

Temp 79 F.

Salinity 1.025
PH 8.1
Nitrates 3 ppm
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

Phosfates Just about 0

Ca. 490
Mg 1400

KH about 7.5 or 8

Anyways my question is how can i bring up KH with out really raising anything els, I know i can bring up the PH a bit to like 8.2 or 8.3 but i rather not mess with that if i dont have to.

I hear Baking Soda works but it also increases PH. Is there anything that wont affect both PH and KH Just KH ????

Your alkalinity isn't bad. I wouldn't worry about raising it up. If you have lots of stony corals, you can always start dosing a two part solution. It may also be your salt mix that's giving you those readings.

My salt mic has a kh of 12 when i mix it. So i dont think its that. So if i bake the backing soda i can bring kh up and only slightly bring up ph. Being as my ph is at 8.1. I have a little room in there right ?

I believe you can use baking soda if your pH is 8.1-8.3, and washing soda if your pH is lower. Randy Holmes Farley has several articles with pretty detailed instructions (I can't find the one I commonly link to, but you can find it in my alk problems post a few pages back)

So you are saying when you mix a fresh batch of saltwater, it has a dKH of 12, but your tank only tests at 7.5 or 8? Sounds like it may be a testing error. If you did a 25% water change with water that is 12 dKH, the water in the tank should rise from 8 dKH to 9 dKH. Are you seeing this when you do your water changes?

So you are saying when you mix a fresh batch of saltwater, it has a dKH of 12, but your tank only tests at 7.5 or 8? Sounds like it may be a testing error. If you did a 25% water change with water that is 12 dKH, the water in the tank should rise from 8 dKH to 9 dKH. Are you seeing this when you do your water changes?

Havent really tested right after a water change. I usually test a couple days after. and i do see a little climp but not much.

I will check with next time i do a water change again.

As far as testing error goes. i used the API test kit and its pretty mutch simple. i add the 5ml water and then i do 4 drops to start, shake then i add one drop at a time and shake until it goes from blue to yellow

it usually starts changes color at about 7 drops then one more drop makes it fully yellow.

When i look at the kit and what it says i figured its between 7 and 8 ppm

I dose 1/2 tsp baking soda in 1 cup rodi water almost every week and dose calcium as well in a 110. I am noticing that it brings it up to optimal levels then i test through out the week and watch it fall slightly everyday. Is there anything on the market that will keep it stable or is this part of dosing in saltwater?

Back