KILLER HERMIT CRABS ON BOTTOM FEEDERS!?!?!

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Goob, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Goob

Goob

I'm really starting to get frustrated. I was having some minor brown algae issues so I wanted to get something to keep my tank nice and clean. I first purchased a bi-color Blenny and after a few days, I saw my hermit crabs having a feast on him. Just this week, I added a Diamond Watchman Goby and just walked by my tank to see him being feasted on as well.

I know hermits are opportunistic hunters, but can they actually kill your bottom feeding fish? I figured both of these guys could get away if needed. If that's the case, I'm going to take my hermits to the store and go only with snails.

Would appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Goob, Jan 20, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Goob

Aquarian

What are your water prams? I've had hermits murder snails but not fish, if the fish is dead or dieing then the hermits will go eat them up.

Aquarian, Jan 20, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. Goob

Goob

I'm religious with my water changes and will be adding a sump next week to make my tank even better. I'm at a 0 for ammonia and nitrite, about 10ppm for Nitrate and very low on phosphates, but they exist because of some of the small spikes of brown algae I've been getting.

I pay such close attention to this stuff and don't think that both of these fish would die and become hermit food whereas my clowns and fire fish are doing perfectly fine.

Goob, Jan 20, 2015
  4. Goob

salt_for_brains Alabama Reefer VIP Member

I agree with Steve. The fish has to be dead or on its last leg for the hermits to get them. My diamond goby will pick up any hermit in its area and transport it to the other side of the tank.

If your parameters are in line....It sounds more like you are not getting a healthy fish and/or something is going wrong in the acclimation process which will generally show up in the first few days.

salt_for_brains, Jan 20, 2015
    Aquarian and mariobrothersleeve like this.
  5. Goob

monique

i agree, i have a couple sand sifter gobies and they dont take any crap from the hermits.

monique, Jan 23, 2015
  6. Goob

finestbeast

Ive never had a hermit eat something alive...other then a snail...just saying...

finestbeast, Jan 25, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question