killings these things

daugherty

part time reefer
i have tried everything to kill these with out tanking the rock out of the water. i have 8 or 9 of these colonies in my tank and only one rock will come out with out me haveing to take the whole tank apart.

DSCN1178.jpg

DSCN1177.jpg

You have a healthy tank.:claphands(And this is how you're rewarded!) Some people pay good money for those things! The little green ones in the second picture are kinda pretty.

dont get me wrong they are very pretty but i really dont want to touch them and get stung, or have them grow more and kill other corals.

Thanks for the heads up on those things. It would be just like me to get some cause I thought they looked neat. Somebody has surly had them before and knows how to kill them. Sorry man. Sometimes I don't know Jack Shit!

James- I just read your thread and it looks like you've tried everything and no one seems to have any other ideas. Have you tried some other reef forums like Reef Central or any others?

Also how about a small steel brush scrubbing them in your tank. It might be like sanding them off. If no one comes up with some help it looks like your going to have to take the rock out to get them off. Sorry.

i got the same from rc no one knows how to kill them. i just thought of something so i will have to go and buy more superglue i think i am going to try and superglue all the tubes shut and see if that works. one of the coloines i did scrap off and it came back in a couple months.

If all else fails, remove the rock and bust it into chunks to save your other coral. Toss the hydroids in the trash.

What if you took a syringe full of skimmate and injected them with it. You may have to run carbon in the mean time but it may be worth a shot.

What if you took a syringe full of skimmate and injected them with it. You may have to run carbon in the mean time but it may be worth a shot.

that could work but i do not use carbon so i don't want to risk putting all tank crap in the water. but good idea. i think i am going to go and buy some super glue i have been thinking about this alot and think it is the best bet. my idea is to super glue around and over them let it sit for a few days then pull it out hoping that the super glue holds it all together when i pull it out so that it pulls all the colony off the rock with the glue

I know superglue is acceptable in the amounts we use it in, but you are talking a TON of superglue. I wonder if in such a large quantity it is still reef safe? Also, I don't know how these guys spread but I think that if you encase them but then remove the whole thing later that there might be remnants to allow them to come back down the road. I really think your plan needs to result in there death. you can leave them if they are dead, scrape the tubes off if you want, and let coraline erase them from your memory. Just curious, are saying you don't use carbon, or you can't/won't use carbon?

Back