killings these things

i just don't use carbon in the almost 11 years of this hobby i have only used carbon a couple times. i just feel that that with good husbandry to the tank it is not needed. the other reason is that carbon is being looked at as a potential cause to HLLE

I am with you on the above. I started out, day one, with a bunch of chemicals in my shopping cart ready to dose my way to the super tank of the century. I have since returned all the chemicals I could and I rely on husbandry almost entirely to maintain the quality in my tank. I am just thinking that in your case, the temporary use of carbon may be in order because I think you are going to have to bring out the big guns to beat these bastards. Even if you go with the superglue, I think in the quantity you are talking about, some carbon may be in order.

James,
Could you cover them up with some kind of pad or thick towel to completely block all of their light. Maybe they would die off in a few weeks?

i do not think they use light. but could be wrong. i think this because i have some on the underside of a rock that is almost all dark. and some that are high in the tank and they all look the same bright green.

thanks for the ideas.

What if you took forceps and held each tube with one hand and then use a scalpel in the other hand to cut them out and remove them, then superglue over their place to try to prevent their return. Do they reproduce with spores? If so that wont work...

I am with you on the above. I started out, day one, with a bunch of chemicals in my shopping cart ready to dose my way to the super tank of the century. I have since returned all the chemicals I could and I rely on husbandry almost entirely to maintain the quality in my tank. I am just thinking that in your case, the temporary use of carbon may be in order because I think you are going to have to bring out the big guns to beat these bastards. Even if you go with the superglue, I think in the quantity you are talking about, some carbon may be in order.

my thoughts on this are that i am only going to try one colony at a time most of them are only about the size of a quarter. i think that one tube of superglue that is only .14oz is not that much at all. i think that if i was going to do all them at one time than something like carbon would need to be run i do agree with you on that.

What if you took forceps and held each tube with one hand and then use a scalpel in the other hand to cut them out and remove them, then superglue over their place to try to prevent their return. Do they reproduce with spores? If so that wont work...

i am quessing spores. i have taken a razor to them and removed it completely even parts of the rock but they come back in a couple months time.

oh. in the pics they look like they are about the size of a baseball. I was thinking you would have to buy stock in locktite to afford all of the glue it would require.

How about cutting them off as best as possible, the use epoxy to cover the entire area. If it works you can break if off your rock after a few months or leave it to be grown over.

How about cutting them off as best as possible, the use epoxy to cover the entire area. If it works you can break if off your rock after a few months or leave it to be grown over.

this is a good idea also. the epoxy would look better than superglue in a couple weeks and will look more like the rock. the only thing i hate about the epoxy is that it makes my skimmer go crazy for a couple weeks i have to just turn it off and wait it out untill it works normal again.

James,Why not just put a drop of the superglue right on the opening of the tubes?
That way,the hydroids cant release any spores.They should also die off,because they wont be able to open up and feed.
Just kinda touch em with the tip of the glue to cause them to retract,then place a drop on the opening of the tube.

There are many things to avoid touching in our reef tanks, Lion Fish and their cousins come to mind. As long as you know they sting, stay away from them with bare hands. They are beautiful additions to a natural reef.

Dick

well i tried super glue and it is very hard to get to the places need under water. so i took out the old trusty knife and started hacking away and one rock i broke but low and behold the tubes they live in are imbedded into the rock deep in the rock. i think i am going to get some epoxy and just cover them up i hacked a bunch of them off the rock and pulled the crap out of the tank so hopefully they did not land somewere and start growing again my luck they will be growing all over the place.

I think that's a good idea. Cover them all with epoxy, and maybe in a month or so, you can break all the epoxy off with a hammer and chisel and get your old rock back.

Wait a minute, James. How is this going to look to the POTM voters! You should be talking about cherishing these beautiful things.:^:

Glad your going to try the epoxy idea!

epoxy seems to be the best idea but the bad part is going to be that i will have no skimmer for a couple weeks to a month because of the epoxy.

Wait a minute, James. How is this going to look to the POTM voters! You should be talking about cherishing these beautiful things.:^:

Glad your going to try the epoxy idea!

well i still have to pic to remember them by as least the pic does not sting and spread like wild fire.

Back