killings these things

That epoxy idea probably isn't going to work then. Your forced to break down your rock and take it out to kill the little shits!

Hey sorry to hear about your problem here. Now i dont have nearly as much experience as some people on here, but what if you tried to feed them AIPTASIA-X.......hold on hold on let me finish...lol.....it hardens up it spreads from the inside on aiptasia right what it will harden up in those things and then it wont be able to feed and hopefully die off. Now in my head that is other option and it still allows you to have your skimmer. Good luck!!!!!!

Hey sorry to hear about your problem here. Now i dont have nearly as much experience as some people on here, but what if you tried to feed them AIPTASIA-X.......hold on hold on let me finish...lol.....it hardens up it spreads from the inside on aiptasia right what it will harden up in those things and then it wont be able to feed and hopefully die off. Now in my head that is other option and it still allows you to have your skimmer. Good luck!!!!!!

it may be a soultion but i think that people have already tried it to no avail and killing these things they are really hard to kill.

I'd give that Aiptasia X a try James.At this point,you dont have anything to loose.Just make sure not to touch the hydroids with the tip and they should eat it.I know aiptasia eats it then dies.

I have been doing some reading on the subject, and I have found a couple of things that might help. First, it is suggested that if you ignore the Hydroids, and focus on water quality that in a relatively short period of time, they will cycle out of existence in your tank mostly on their own. You might start by attacking all means to rid your system of nitrates and phosphates. What are your current parameters, feeding schedule, and water change routines?

I also read of some success with injecting them with Kalkwasser. It says to wait till they are fully opened. I know you already tried Kalk, but perhaps it would be more effective if they were also starving as per the first recommendation. In a different post it suggested covering them in paste instead of injecting them. Perhaps a combination of the two would be the way to go. I also found that everyone who treated with Kalk had to do it numerous times. They say to turn off all filtration, remove as much of them as you can with tweezers of forceps, then apply Kalk. Then keep a close eye on your tank and a batch of Kalk mixed and ready and at the first sign of their return, apply some more. They also caution to take it slow if you have a lot because you don't want to OD on Kalk. Finally, increase your water changes during treatment.

I also found a link that addresses treating them with Ferbendazole (Panacur) however it sounds like the side effects to your corals could be more devistating than the droids themselves.

I hope something here helps you to get a handle on these pests without having to tear down your aquascaping.

i will see what i can get. any thing right now is worth a shot. i still think it may come down to me takink the tank apart.

I have been doing some reading on the subject, and I have found a couple of things that might help. First, it is suggested that if you ignore the Hydroids, and focus on water quality that in a relatively short period of time, they will cycle out of existence in your tank mostly on their own. You might start by attacking all means to rid your system of nitrates and phosphates. What are your current parameters, feeding schedule, and water change routines?

I also read of some success with injecting them with Kalkwasser. It says to wait till they are fully opened. I know you already tried Kalk, but perhaps it would be more effective if they were also starving as per the first recommendation. In a different post it suggested covering them in paste instead of injecting them. Perhaps a combination of the two would be the way to go. I also found that everyone who treated with Kalk had to do it numerous times. They say to turn off all filtration, remove as much of them as you can with tweezers of forceps, then apply Kalk. Then keep a close eye on your tank and a batch of Kalk mixed and ready and at the first sign of their return, apply some more. They also caution to take it slow if you have a lot because you don't want to OD on Kalk. Finally, increase your water changes during treatment.

my nitrate and phos read 0 ont the test kits. they are the same at the lfs also.

I also found a link that addresses treating them with Ferbendazole (Panacur) however it sounds like the side effects to your corals could be more devistating than the droids themselves.

I hope something here helps you to get a handle on these pests without having to tear down your aquascaping.

my nitrate and phos read 0 on the test kits. they are the same at the lfs also.

Just a thought, but could that be because of a healthy fuge, and the presence of these droids? In other words, there has to be nitrates in the system for these guys to be flourishing, but maybe it isn't showing up because they are consuming the majority of them. Perhaps you could borrow another skimmer, and increase your water changes temporarily to see if that has any effect?

i dont know whats going on. i change 20 gal every week on the skimmer i am the only person that i know besides my father in law that has a salt tank and his is plumed to his 210. i cant change water when the kids are awake because they like to help make a big mess. the last time they helped i had to clean up a 5 gal bucket of water off the floor.

Yeah I was thinking of borrowing from the LFS, assuming you know someone there well, who has been trying to help you with these droids. Perhaps it's just time to buy a bigger tank and simply start over. At least that will make tearing yours down a more pleasant experience. :D

that it would make it a lot easier but got to have the funds for it. my lfs is a great one but that is not something they do the only skimmers they have in stock are peices of crap like the seaclone.

Back