kilo's 100 gallon tall REEF!

kilo

Reefing newb
im excited to start my 100 gallon build thread! :D it came with no equipment, but we are going to go forward with it and have this thing looking awesome.. it will be a slow build, but a build none the less! :bounce: this bad boy is 48x18x36, its a big boi! like dayyum! :D
416907_367495116598240_100000132651912_1679110_202590665_n.jpg

418849_367495163264902_100000132651912_1679111_1239529581_n.jpg

crappy stand and light.. we are going to have a custom stand fabricated
404550_367495223264896_100000132651912_1679112_1035044575_n.jpg
423225_367495323264886_100000132651912_1679114_557906943_n.jpg

i still have to do a leak test

plans!: this will be a mixed reef tank! it will be SPS dominated but there will be LPS here and there, (at this time i am currently accepting coral / equipment / livestock donations :rofl:) everything in my 20 will be going into this tank slowly, but that wont even make a dent in this tank, so ill be hunting on craigslist for sweet deals....
few questions!
i can keep tangs right!?
how big of a sump should i have? i was thinking in the 30-40 range
i can keep 10-11 fish right? suggestions?
i want to get LED's but im worried i wont get enough PAR at the bottom of the tank so i think im going to go with metal halides.. good choice?

im still doing research on equipment and fish/inverts, so i will be posting my mechanical list tomorrow and my stocking list will come sometime soon :mrgreen:

This looks like a fun build!

Yes, you can keep tangs! But not every tang, so do your research :)

Yes, 10-11 fish but dont rush it!

And yes, you can do LEDs but make sure you get a quality fixture because the cheap knockoffs wont work on a large tank like this. Or metal halides will do.

I have a 90 gal and I am doing tangs too. You will reach your limit with tangs quickly though so that is something to take into consideration. You will need to stay away from the bigger tang like the powder blue, the blue hippo, the Naso tang (though you may be able to do a Naso you would have to look). Remember do your research on what's going into your tank so you get stuff you can sustain! LED lights are AWESOME. I have 2 of the AI Sol lights in my tank and they rock out loud. They will also save you tons on your electric bill and it may save you from needing a chiller if it gets really hot where you live. As for a sump, the only thing I have to say is this, you will need an amazing skimmer if you want to do SPS. Get something rated at 2-4 times your tank volume. You will also need really good flow. I am working on getting the Echo Tech Vortech MP40 pump. you may want to look into a good wavemaker like that but they are pricy too. Also, It may be beneficial to get all your rock and put it together before it goes into the tank. if you do it that way, you can actually secure it to PVC and do some really cool stuff that won't topple over. Looks like an awesome build! Keep us updated!

good point, im only planning on keeping a yellow tang and maybe one other.
i have a few ideas for flow, i want this thread to be pretty organized so ill post all my flow ideas tomorrow ! :D

HOB overflow can be bad sometimes. If the syphon breaks, it can overflow your tank and trash your return pump. It may be worth getting an ATO so that if the water level gets too high (aka the HOB overflow isn't working) it can shut your pump off before it overflows your tank.

If you are thinking recirculating skimmer, you might check out Reef Dynamics. They are a little less known than Reef Octo but they make amazing skimmers.

i really like the aqua illuminations SOL units, but at $400 a piece, and the fact that i would need 2, makes them somewhat unaffordable... what are some good LED lights?

looks cool! but i think im sold on the AL SOL's! the storm effect, fully adjustable, and color changes look awesome.. if i cant do those ill look into other lighting options
R3verb: by the looks of your thread, you love them! right!?!? what kind of spread do they get? i want them soo bad now!

oh alright, if you can afford the AI sols definatly get them, the quality is unmatched, and the effects are awesome.i thought you were saying they were out of budget Its actually Ai Aqua Illumination

they are and they arent.. if i go for these i will have to sacrifice somewhere else, i have a set amount to work with right now, and these will make a dent

good idea little_fish! i have to talk to my parents since they are footing the bill, but my dad likes them..they came with a light which should be fine for the FOWLR and a few basic corals... i just wana get this thing cycling! :D

could i use an aquaclear 110 to get the tank cycling? put some fish in it after 2 weeks and then get the skimmer?

Kilo, yes I really love them. I like the smooth transitions rather than just on and off, it's great to not have to worry much about heat and electricity bill (I want my tank to be as "green" as it can be) and the thing I like the most about them is the value. Yea they are $400 a piece but they last up to 5 years and since they are modular, the hope is that in 5 years Im replacing bulbs not units (so maybe $200-$300 rather than $400 for a new unit). All that being said, I think it should be an upgrade for you. I would recommend getting a really awesome skimmer, something that can support up to a 200 gal if you want to do SPS and what not, before getting really nice lights. Stick with what you have and do a FOWLR tank for now. Do you research and only get reef-safe fish and inverts and you should be able to upgrade to a reef tank in the future!

Back