Kole Tang companion

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hello,
I am trying to decide what I may want to get to add in my 90. I would like a second bigger fish. I have my kole tang. I love, love, love it.
Current fish inhabitants:
Kole Tang
Six line Wrasse
2 black white ocellaris clowns
purple dottyback

I have had conflicting info on having more than 1 tang. I have thought of a coral beauty or a foxface, but don't want to get stung. I would also like it to be a fish that is more prone to swimming out and about rather than just hiding out.

Thanks,
Angie

Maybe you can get a yellow tang if you switch the rocks around, or possibly get a yellow tang slightly bigger than the kole.

OMG Get a foxface :D You won't get stung unless you chase it around the tank with your hand LOL My foxface eats algae sheets out of my hand, but I do watch him when I'm putting in a new clip because sometimes he wants to start eating while I'm putting the clip on the glass, but he's never once spiked up near my hand. Most of the people I've seen here w/ Foxfaces love theirs :D These fish are so super friendly.

As for tangs, from what I've read, as long as they're not from the same family, they will most likely get along with each other.

Maybe you can get a yellow tang if you switch the rocks around, or possibly get a yellow tang slightly bigger than the kole.

I like the yellow tang. Do they have fun personalities? My kole has a great, chilled personality.

I am not sure why I would need to move my rocks around.

Thanks,
Angie

At one point i had Yellow Tang, Kole Tang, and Sailfin Tang all toghether and they where fine for a good month and a half untill my Kole Died all of a sudden. i still have no idea why he died. all my other fish are fine still to this day XX's fingers.

Multiple tangs can be kept together if they are not from the same family. When you add a tang to a tank that already has some established tangs, you will likely see some serious aggression for the first few days.

I think the best course of action is to turn the lights out for a few days, re-arrange some of the rockwork, and hang a mirror on one side of the tank to try and distract the exiting tang.

Once a pecking order is established the aggression should go away for the most part, and at that point its safe to remove the mirror

I like the yellow tang. Do they have fun personalities? My kole has a great, chilled personality.

I am not sure why I would need to move my rocks around.

Thanks,
Angie

Haha, I accidently thanked your comment instead of quoting it. Anyways, my yellow tang is very friendly. He swims all around the tank and is best friends with my clown fish. I love his personality! He's not shy at all and swims right up to the glass when I'm watching the tank.

Multiple tangs can be kept together if they are not from the same family. When you add a tang to a tank that already has some established tangs, you will likely see some serious aggression for the first few days.

I think the best course of action is to turn the lights out for a few days, re-arrange some of the rockwork, and hang a mirror on one side of the tank to try and distract the exiting tang.

Once a pecking order is established the aggression should go away for the most part, and at that point its safe to remove the mirror

Yeah, i currently have a desjardini sailfin and a bristletooth tomini. I plan on getting a few more different kinds like a naso.... and not sure what else yet.

Back