Koralia Evolution powerhead to variable switch?

They make wavemaker boxes that do this, those may work fine, some people have had issues with the Koralias reversing though, and this seems to happen more when its constantly cycled on and off. I would NOT use a standard timer switch to do this

I bought two of the Evolution 550 for my tank because the are designed to be used on a wave maker. I have had them in the tank two days on my wave maker and they are running just fine.

A response can back from hydor and they said they are nit sure and they have never tested it before.

Ted is your powerhead hooked up to a on/off switch?

mine is a old jbj wave maker. It alternates power from one to the other. I have it going back and forth every 30 seconds. All it does is switch back and forth I see not difference in what you where looking at. All the aids for the evolutions say that unlike the old Koralia these can be used with wave makers. I have no idea why they would have told you that.

The OP is not asking if they can be used on a wavemaker, he is asking if they can be used on a generic timer switch. I would not take the chance, especially on the older Koralia's that were not designed to be run that way

Older ones no way. Would kill them fast. I just dont see the difference on the different timers ,switchers whatever you want to call them. Mine doesnt power up and down its just on or off.

Ok I am confused...this is from the ad on marine and reef

The Koralia Evolution 550 gph is one of Hydor's new and innovative circulation pumps for small reef aquariums. The Hydor Evolution design and technology guarantees a continuous and powerful water flow which can be directed freely thanks to the special sphere shaped connection to the exclusive combination suction cup and magnet support. High performance, low energy consumption and quick and easy maintenance.

Unlike the non-Evolution Koralia pumps, the Koralia Evolution can be connected to a Wavemaker. Please note, if you are using the Hydor Koralia Wavemaker, you will need to use one of the Koralia 12V Controllable Powerheads.

so to me if you have a timer that turns off and on these are the ones to buy. Thats what I bought and its what I have.

He wasn't trying to hook it up to a timer, he was wanting to hook it up to a dimmer. To vary the voltage and then change the speed of the powerhead. not just turn it on or off.

I am with north on this one too. Most motors are designed to run on one voltage. If they are fed a different voltage, they tend to burn up. A ceiling fan is designed to do that. I doubt the power heads are.

Hmmm ok.....Guess I missed that he wanted to ramp the power down and run it slow. My bad. The next question is why? The flow is so diffused on this power head its not going to over power anything.

Back