Koralia Powerheads and Power Outages

newbie 18

Reefing newb
Tonight we had a storm go through and the power flickered as if it was going to go out. I went to the tank and noticed that the powerheads were not working, I was able to shake them and get them to again work. My concern is that when I am on vacation next week and this happens, should I be concerned about that. I have someone to check on the fish midweek but she is not a fish keeper so I am trying to keep it as basic as possible without having her do any maintenance, just count the fish, top off tank and give them a specified amount of food. Has anyone else had this problem with these before? I have had them in the tank for less than a month, so I wouldn't think they need the vinegar soak yet, but it could be rookie thinking.
Thanks
Ted

Thanks, what is a good timeline for cleaning/soaking the powerheads? With them stalling out the way they did, are there any adverse affects to the powerhead and or aquarium if it is not remedied right away?

You dont need to get new powerheads, and unless you are willing to drop a couple hundred on another powerhead, there really isnt another brand I would recommend.

The koralia powerheads arent made to be turned on and off very fast, like you saw when the power flickered out. Usually they will restart, especially if they are clean. So pull out all of your powerheads and give them a good soak in vinegar, then scrub them really good with the tank toothbrush.

Usually, they run in reverse if the power goes all goofy on them. So all you have to do is turn the plug around. Just teach your house sitter to check and make sure there is flow, and if not, she can call you for guidance on uplugging them and getting them fixed. Its pretty simple, especially if you have your wires labeled.

No need to soak over night. 20 minutes will do it. Make sure you take them apart and clean inside. If you have Coraline growing on them you do not need to get it all off. You will notice that it turns white but as long as its not plugging the intakes then its okay if its there. DO make sure you clean the INSIDE of the cage well though. Clean the INSIDE of the drive also. (where the shaft goes into the body.)

Lots of time you can simply turn the power off then back on to correct the flow if it reverses. Flipping the plug works every time though. IIRC there is a fix for this issue right? I don't remember the link though.

Got stuck on vacation a couple extra days and found my tank and my fish in poor condition. Trying to keep things simple for the one checking on them was a poor choice and need to educate more for next time. Power went out while I was gone and I was called by the fish sitter as the powerheads had again failed to start back up again. I asked her to unplug the plug them in again, reverse the plug and to shake the powerhead itself and nothing worked for her. When I returned, the clowns were gasping for air, the blenny went into hiding and there was a lot of hunk on the surface. I was only planning on being go. ne for seven days, ended up being ten. The tank and fish look great now, as a simple shake started the powerheads up again and I changed out ten gallons of water! Thank goodness vacation wasn't prolonged any longer.

Back