Korilia 4 pumps

jhnrb

Reef enthusiast
I have been using several (2 ) Korilia 4 pumps for a while now on a timmer, set at several minutes off and a minute+ on, 24/7. It seems the vibration of the startup tends to crack the cap at the end where the metal impeller shaft goes in on the front cover, also, the side support leg has also cracked and separated. I have replaced three of the caps in the last 3 months on two pumps. so if you intend to use a timmer with frequent on/off times make sure you have replacement caps on hand should one fail on you. if it fails the impeller will bind and not turn. otherwise a great water mover and well worth the cost.

Thanks for the info -- I have read that the Koralia powerheads do not do well with timers/wavemakers for this reason. It wears them out very quickly.

The regular Koralia's are not made to run on a wavemaker, as jhnrb found out.
The controllable Koralia's will only run on a Koralia wavemaker. They are flow controllable. For example, a K-4 can be set to run at 1400 gph then down to 550 gph then back up. They have different modes that can be set too.
The Koralia Magnums are made to run on a regular on/off wavemaker. They don't make any noise on restart. They were designed for wavemakers.

Thats funny! I was just looking at Deluxe Koralia Wavemaker controler 4 way. But it costs $479.99 and i was looking at Koralia 4 Wavemaker Kit. That costs $402.99
They cost alot of money! Thanks for the information about them I would opf never know that!

Further, my lfs has provided me with a half dozen caps from the manufacturer at no cost so ill just replace um for now, till i decide what i want to do, ive not had a problem with the #1 of which i run 2 in the corners. ive had no problems with the impeller or shaft assembly. just the cap with and without the direction cover. i only use 4's now without the directional cover attachment and the failure still exists, so if you use an on off on these keep a couple spare caps around just in case. should be only about 5 dollars for the 4's if you have to purchase um.

Hydor Customer Service is top notch. I bought 2 K-3's when they first came out and had ceramic shafts. I broke both shafts the 1st time I cleaned them. I emailed Hydor and they sent me 4 stainless shafts.
I run 4 K-4's and 1 K-1 in my 125 now. Recently, 1 of the K-4's started humming pretty loud. I emailed Hydor. They told me to check the washer orientation on the impeller. Turns out I was missing the black washer. They sent me 6 replacement washers.

The problem I have with the way the Koralia's are set up is that the flow gradually goes down the longer the pump is in the tank. As you have growth on the plastic around the propeller, the intake flow is restricted, therefore causing the flow to be decreased.

By 5-6 months, the flow is substantially impaired. My new Koralia 3 far outpumps my 5 month old Koralia 4

I agree with you, but much of the impairment for me is that I have hair algae growth on my powerhead and I don't fully clean it off enough.

Back