Kristina's new sorta upgrade!

jonsbabykake

Reefing newb
was visiting a petco today because it was close to the grocery store we frequent, but not one that we knew had good saltwater stock (yes some of them are ok) but they were all shut down. browsing thru the isles for misc stuff i happened to walk by a friggin Biocube 14g that was marked down to $59.99. are u serious?! :bowdown:

so i inquired about it and yeah it was an opened returned product. there was a NEW one not opened next to it for $119.99 which is still a good deal but we couldnt pass up the $59. we are going to leak test it for 24hrs and make sure all the equipment is up and running well tonight. we have 30 days to return it if something is wrong. if there is in fact something wrong then its not meant to be and thats ok :)

this will be my hubs tank and i will claim our current 29 long.

im not gonna be able to get any live rock til the weekend and all the ones in the current tank have life on it i dont really want to lose :D but we did get live sand for now.

so.EXCITED!

u shush bryan lol

i have no idea how to run a biocube or wutever and i know a lot of people who had them do mods to them, sooo if anyone has any ideas for that stuff, throw them at me!

(this is still me, just changed names)

the 24hr leak test went great! everything looks like its running well and it doesnt even look like it was used at all. only thing we noticed was some green on one of the plugs prongs, but it hasnt started a fire yet so im guessing its ok lol

yeah i know this thread is useless without pics, but cmon, its an empty biocube lol wait til i get stuff in it atleast!

The green is corrosion building on the plug. It could be years but it will cause an issue if not taken care of. Personally I would cut the plug off and put a new one on the cord.

i was thinking that also but not really sure how to do it lol *such a nerd*

do u think biocubes warranty would cover that?

Just find some electrical contact cleaner and use some sandpaper to get it off. :P

The issue with that is the corrosion could be inside the molded plug. Its also my experience that contact cleaner does not really work with corrosion. (unless you can get your hands on a can that is $150-$200)

If the corrosion gets bad enough it will loose contact inside the plug and either melt the outlet and catch on fire or melt the plug itself. I don't think that the biocube warranty will cover this.

What is this plug operating? If its a pump the fix will be rather easy, cut the plug off separate the wires, strip them back 3/8" and attach a 2 wire plug to it. The wires won't matter which side they are attached to in the plug. If its a light we will need to determine what the hot and common wires are. Either way its not hard to do.

Sorry I don't want to freak you out about this but I just had a customer at work almost burn down a hospital due to this issue. It had been going on for several years on a piece of equipment that I didnt even know existed out there, or I would have shut him down until it was resolved.

That makes it easier then. Just chop off the plug and then strip off the sheathing about 3/8" and attach a new plug. The wiring shouldn't matter on the pump.

456143_10150599525561307_640496306_9325608_988015515_o.jpg

Back