kryptonite candy cane coral browning

Marinne13

Northern Reefer
not sure what is going on with my candy cane coral...my Duncan also has started to close

so got my candy cane coral about a week and a half ago and it looks like the center on them is turning brown (about 6 inches from the top)

my Duncan has also closed and has not fully extended for about 4 days (lower half of tank)

any ideas??

water parameters are: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Phosphate 0, salinity 1.026, calcium 420 and temp is 77.7...lighting is T5 HO 324 watt, MP40 for flow with a 425GPH powerhead pointed level with the surface for agitation

I don't currently have an Alk test

the pink stuff is apoxy for holding them down
DSC_0042_zps46f2e532.jpg

DSC_0043_zps1d648a25.jpg

Wow, it's kinda hard to tell, because your levels are spot on. Something is irritating them...did any chemicals get in the tank by accident(air freshener, lotion, perfume)? Or do you have the flow too strong on them?

not sure...my MP40 is only at like 60% on reef crest...I have sprayed any perfume, febreeze in the room and I always rinse my hands with hot clean water if I am going in for something

Last edited:
Just guessing here have you tried moving them to a higher flow level mine are right under my returns being blasted with water. i got it as a frags 1year ago it has 15+ heads

they are in the direct path of the mp40 and the 425GPH powerhead...I am not sure where else to put it that it could get better flow without re doing my rock

so my Duncan's just opened up lol...don't know where that came from, the only thing I did was switch the MP40 from nutrient transport to Reef crest

also dd swap my bulbs today because the cheapo fixture I had blew 3 ballasts, maybe the candy cane didn't like the cheap bulbs

I went with ATI 2 aquablue, 2 actinic, 1 purple plus, 1 coral plus

I don't think this has anything to do with the immediate problems but your temps are way too tightly controlled...the corals will acclimate to the way tiny fluctuations then if the temp does swing at all they will all go into shock....I always try to control to about 1 degree variations.

the immediate problems? I didn't think you could control temperatures too much and I don't believe that is the issue

Last edited:
no, that wouldn't be anything for the immediate issues, but it will help the overall wellbeing....on a real reef the temps swing a lot more than that....

I would have thought a full temp swing would be bad...I can adjust the controller but it will put a lot more stress on the heater

Maybe the change in light intensity from the newer bulbs may be too strong for them right now, and they're just acclimating.

they were like that before I put the new fixture/bulbs...I just put the new aquaticlife fixture on today with the bulbs and the Duncans opened up and my frogspawn did open more than usual

When did the browning start? How bout the duncan closure?

Do I understand that you just put the "new light" up today?

the browning started about 3 days ago and the duncan closed last weekend...the duncan opened back up today

yes I just put the new light on today, the light I had blew 3 ballasts 2 days ago so I only had 3 10K day lights running

The new light wouldn't be the issue, as it started before the new light was placed....I would love to know what the Phosphates are because it's the only loose variable....

Dunno, but phosphates can cause browning but I generally look at high Alk, which you don't have.....Try not to change anything at all for a few days and see what happens...the Canes don't look sick, nor does the Duncan, they just look pissed off....

I know it's hard to do, especially when you are new at this stuff, but you can't react too fast....Many years ago I heard very wise words..."In this hobby NOTHING good happens fast"...If the Canes brown out then they will color back up....

I haven't added anything or tried to move them so I will just wait and see...I am hoping they didn't like the old light as I got it cheap with the bulbs

I genuinely think this is a take a deep breath and realize that they are just aggravated and need to settle down a bit moment....like a kid having a tantrum, you can try everything you can think of, or you can let the tantrum pass....from my experience letting the tantrum pass is the least destructive of all choices...

And, BTW...Whynot Minot!!!!

Back