Kyle's 75g Reef

ksicard

Reefing newb
Hey all,
I'm new to this forum and figured I'd check it out! Well I recently brought home a 75g driller tank w/ stand and canopy on January 15, 2013. Thought I would share my tank here and see what you guys think. In terms of equipment I have an LED lighting system consisting of 28 nuetral whites and 28 royal blues at 3w per LED, a sump w/ phosphate reactor, tunze 9006 skimmer, chaeto w/ refuge light, a MP40w ES for circulation as well as a 500gph return pump.

I plan to add a third strip of LED's w/ 28 violets to achieve a deep purple hue in the tank, another vortech pump (either a mp10 or mp40), and will be dosing manually.

Here are the pics so far, and I'm right smack dab in the middle of my nitrite cycle.

IMG_0820_zpsaf4dde25.jpg

IMG_0821_zps5f94a77f.jpg

IMG_0826_zpse540ed62.jpg

IMG_0829_zpsc69fcc54.jpg

IMG_0831_zpsfaeb3563.jpg

IMG_0830_zpsec954016.jpg

IMG_0836_zpsa2fe4878.jpg

IMG_0840_zpsbf4119a5.jpg

Thanks all! Seems like a great community here, this tank will be a slow build but I'll keep posting as I update it. My LED contorller came yesterday and I'm having a few problems getting it programmed correctly but I will get it worked out. And I'm excited, because my skimmer and my RODI replacemenet filters come in today, so i'll post back when I get off work and have everything setup and installed. The skimmer is a Tunze 9006, it's rated for 158g and I chose it due to it's small foot print.

I plan to let the tank mature for a period of 2-3 months, so I wont add much livestock till I deem it ready, I might add 1-3 small frags just because it's so hard to wait that long with nothing in the tank.

The skimmer and the LED controller have been in for a few days. I'm having a late night but I was able to finally get my LED controller wired up and programmed, I'm now enjoying sunrises and sunsets. It's to cool coming into my room and seeing a different spectrum depending on the time of the day. Right now I'm just playing with the settings and will settle on a set schedule for peak hours and sunsets and sunrises at some point. Also the skimmer was a big smack in the face, after ordering a $280 skimmer you would think it would be clear cut that you need to buy an addon in order to work it as a in sump application! But anywho, the addon to make in a in sump skimmer is on the way after paying for shipping again... But all is well and the tank is showing nitrates and 0 ites and ammonia, so the tank is officially cycled! But I wont be doing the water changes till I get the skimmer hooked up and the chemical media in the reactor and the sump. So next on the list is: setting up skimmer/adding GFO to reactor/adding carbon to sump/buy an mp10w/buy a 3rd heat sink of lights to utilize all 4 channels of control via LED controller, I will most likely be adding either red/green or another color/violet but I'm not to sure yet. Doing my homework on LED lighting spectrums before I make a bling purchase, I may even add more royal blues but I'm not to positive yet, I'll wait till my homework on the matter is done. I haven't yet decided on the fate of my 34g system, either keep it and use it as a frag station or sell it to fund my new tank. Time is everything at this point =) cheers.

I added about 25-30 lbs of live rock to the scape and got a nice ending result. The skimmer addon for coverting to in sump skimmer is on the way and i'm still working out the details of the 3rd heat sink of lights.
_D3S2415_zpsec64d92e.jpg

_D3S2413_zpsf992ffa3.jpg

The skimmer fit perfectly! almost to perfectly, another 2-3 cm and it wouldn't have fit. In terms of an update, I loaded the tank full of various corals some being ORA pieces and others from my 34g system. I also fragged up about $250 of my acans and traded them at the LFS for a bunch of different frags and pieces. So the coral stock is looking nice as of right now. I ordered my bubble magnus dosing pump and tunze ATO osmolator last night! Waiting on the new toys to come in and keeping a close eye on my parameters and manually dosing so that I dont loose all my new sps pieces. The skimmer is taking its sweet time breaking in but that's fine since I have no fish currently. But sps corals are looking good and having healthy polyp extensions. dosing 7ml of ca buffer daily and keeping an eye on mg and alk since they havent changed since I added the new corals, also dosing fuel twice weekly. Will post pics and updates when the new toys come in and are setup. I am worried about the tunze ATO fitting in my sump, I may have to upgrade my sump afterall but that will be dealt with when it arrives. Happy reefing!

Back