Land hermit crabs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Neno reefs, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Neno reefs

Neno reefs

Well I guess this is kind of a rant thread... but....
    In my opinion the land hermit crab is the most abused pet First they are plucked out of the wild (some die from just the stress of being thrown in a bag) Then they are shipped to a place where they paint there shells. And the paint they use is very toxic to the crabs, and they love to munch on there shells. (Again more death). After that they are shipped to a pet store where they keep them in a cold dry tank. (Lots and lots of death). Then if they survive that, they usually get sold to some kid that has no idea how to care for them. And usually die within a couple of weeks.... Then the kid buys another and the cycle repeats itself. And the saddest part...They can live up to 50 years in the wild....
    I mean most of these people don’t even know that land hermit crabs NEED saltwater to survive... and the list goes on....
    But on a happier note...
    Here are my little crabs , i got 3, (didn't take a pic of the third) rescued them from almost certain death. And have had them for 3 years now.

Attached Files:

• 055.jpg
      055.jpg
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
    • 057.jpg
      057.jpg
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    Neno reefs, Feb 21, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Neno reefs

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

Lucky crabs :D Yeah, I'll admit, growing up I had a few little critters where the only info I went by was the pet store. I mean, come on....if a pet store that sells these pets gave you info, you knew they had to know it all right?? Of course with age comes wisdom, so I know better. I do research for everything. Usually by the time I've finished researching, I decide not getting certain pets lol

wontonflip, Feb 21, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Neno reefs

Neno reefs

Most pet store know that they are doing wrong but there are some that are just dont know what they are doing.

same here lol

Neno reefs, Feb 21, 2013
  4. Neno reefs

Smitty

Yeah, they are cool lil creatures. I had one as a child that lived at least 6-7 years.

Smitty, Feb 21, 2013
  5. Neno reefs

chichimom79 reef junkie

When we were on a vacation in Alabama, my mom took the kids to the souvenier shop and they all came back with a hermit crab. None of them lived for very long. I asked my mom to never buy her another living creature without my knowledge. Poor little guys. :(

chichimom79, Feb 21, 2013
  6. Neno reefs

Neno reefs

I know its so sad :( It would be nice if they cost more then $1-5, more like 20$ that would stop a lot of people from buying them.

Neno reefs, Feb 21, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question