Large corner tanks?

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
The largest corner tank I can find is a 92g. I'm half considering it. I have a 47g now, 45 extra gallons doesn't seem like a whole lot, especially considering the 92g is going to cost me 1300$ from my LFS : /

Do they make bigger tanks that I could get for less? The 1300 is tank/stand, undrilled of course.

I have an unused corner in my living room. It's the only place my wife says I'm "allowed" to put a tank...

Thanks.

I could but I'd prefer to have a triangle shape. It seems that's pretty near impossible to do though with glass angles and silicone bonding.

I wonder how a plywood/glass tank would look though?

How big can you get cube tanks and about how much would a 100, 125, 150, 175, 200 cost?

I'm going to get the largest tank my budget will allow.

For lighting, rock placement, just about everything imo, a square would be way easier than a triangle.

Edit: Found Marineland. They make a 150g+. It's beautiful but way more than I'm looking to pay. It's almost 3x what a normal 150g tank with stand would cost me :*(

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+15496+22044&pcatid=22044

Last edited:
I wouldn't go by the prices on those tanks, they're way overpriced IMO. For some of the ones DFS sells you could get a cheaper one custom made.

Acrylic bad!

I really dont know if I could deal with the micro scratches on the tank. I was reading up on DiY acrylic builds and it looks very inexpensive, so if I went acrylic that's probably the route I would go.

The corner of the room I want to place the tank is about 6 ft by 5 ft. I would like to use a little less size so it's not pushed up against anything. I have looked into placing long tanks there and it looks very out of place. Plus i like the depth I could gain with a wider tank.

i spoke with them today about a 115 gallon that i want to but. They seemed pretty easy going to what they could do. If it is not on the web site he said they can make it. I would give them a call.

Looking at my corner space and dong some math. A 36"x36"x30" tank would add up to about 167 gallons. Which is about where I want to be. I can go larger, but that's about the gallonage I want to be in. Looking maybe at 40x40 or something in between.

I called a local glass shop today, before I actually looked at the area again I was figurng a 4x4' area. For a 48x30" sheet that's 1/2" thick I'm lookng at 108$ per side.

So I have a general idea of what it's gonna cost to DIY this, which isn't something I really wanted to do in the first place. But if it's more than 1/2 the savings it's going to be hard to not try to save some money!

What'd ya think? How much do you figure glasscages would charge me for a tank? Should I look around for local builders?

EDIT:

Something I never thought of until I started researching this. 1 150g tank does not equal another. After reading up on this I would be very limited to what all I could keep in my tank due to the swimming space in the tank. Doesn't matter that it's a 150g, it's still too small for most tangs and a lot of other cool fish I wanted to get : / I'd still have a lot more room for coral than I have now.

Last edited:
Back