Large hex tank with no filter at dentist office

Indo

Reefing newb
My dentist has a large hex tank maybe 90-120 gallon. Looking closly at it, I saw no filter other than a couple of bubble stones hanging. I asumed it's an undergravel filter but non of the lift tubes have power heads or air stones. The gravel is was mostly bits n peices of shells about 3-4 inches high. The Tank houses a picasso trigger, an angel fish, and several other neat saltwater fish.. Can someone tell me what might be going on and how this is possible. I did notice one of the fish (angel) i think had scabs on it's face and the others looked ok. One of the air stones was like a big circle pad and the other just a small stone, both just hanging there? Any Ideas?

Tank has been there for years, I just recently noticed it had no filter. They said it gets cleaned alot, I also remember 1 time when the fish were gone and they said they were sick. Anyway I can't imagine he's had it running for years with no filter and all the fish are still alive. I'll ask him when I go to get me cavities filled?

If you do large enough water changes often enough, you don't need a filter. I'm assuming the tank is highly medicated with copper, or else the fish would have croaked a long time ago.

Lots of times tanks in dr's offices are just show pieces to relax the patients. Most likely they have a maintainence co do all the work for them. They can have all those fish becasue as far as anyone knows, they may only live a few months and then get replaced.

Just be glad he doesnt practice dentistry the way he practices reef keeping hehe

"What's up doc, how come you forgot to use this tool on my tooth, isnt that important?...OUCH!"

Back