Large Parasites

TahoeReefer

Reefing newb
Unfortunately, I got a hitchhiker in some live rock. This sucker has killed a couple of my fish--one was a Mandarin I had for about 5 years.

The only option I had was to remove some of the live rock in order to catch the fish. Got this nightmare off with tweezers. Big eyes, a hard shell and a heck of a swimmer.

If you get these, make every effort to remove them from your fish. They grow fast. Eat and release, eat and release.

Sure hope there aren't more. I did quarantine the live rock--just missed it. "Blue" is doing fine, but went through hell.

Here is a site I found with good info: Pills, Parasites, and Predators; Isopods in the Reef Aquarium by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

009.jpg

010.jpg

014.jpg

Wow, it's not too common to find parasitic ispods in our tanks! That's an interesting find, and I'm glad you got it out. It is hard to quarantine for things that small.

I'm glad I got it too. At first it started with just the fins. When it moved to the body it was really bad. Felt so sorry for the fish! I figured it would probably die anyway so really had to try. He hid for about a day and now all is well.

I purchased the most beautiful live rock off of Ebay (second time) and this critter must have been in it as I had just moved everything I had for years into a larger tank...and ordered more live rock.

One little thing like that can cause such havoc!

--Happy to share. Just hope none of you ever experience this.

I couldn't be so fortunate as to have only one. Another large one attached itself to Blue and I lost him.

These first two shots are of a smaller one I was able to get off my Clown Goby a couple of days ago. He is fine:

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

The next three are of a more adult size one I found on my Blennie today. It has since been removed and he too is ok.

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

They are apparently Cirolanid's. I know I got these off of live rock I bought via eBay as this is a new set-up. Never had them in my smaller tank. From Florida---BEAUTIFUL rock with a nightmare instore!

I am going to try the removal info found at this site:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/bp/index.php

If they are truly parasitic, you might need to leave your tank fish-less for a length of time to break the life cycle. If they are just opportunistic, it might be more difficult. They could be living off of scum or other pods in the tank for quite some time. Good luck though, they are creeping me out!!!!

Yes...I shared that link in my last post. I looked and looked for info. Might give that a try. I sure hope they are the kind that need fish to survive. Probably won't be that lucky. Really bummed as I have been doing this for years and NEVER had these parasites!!

It's been a long time since I have posted, but I wanted to say that my large parasites are gone!

The answer? My Checkerboard Wrasse. I literally saw the wrasse swim after one (those bloodsuckers swim fast) and eat it. It looked like the parasite was stuck to the wrasse's mouth, but it was the wrasse eating it from the underside. Never had one stuck to its body.The wrasse sifts the the sand looking for food...and apparently it liked these things.

Checkerboard Wrasses aren't the best for a reef tank, but this guy SAVED mine.

Last edited:
Back