Large QT Tank Size

NathanMI

Reef Addict
I'm planning a large reef build and I'm planning on buying large fish some up to 12"
How big does my QT tank have to be? I was planning on putting a 50 or a 55 with a fluval 405 in the bedroom.
Would a 55 gallon tank be big enough for a 12" fish to be in for QT for sux weeks?
55 is 48x12 footprint

I would go at least to a 75 or even a 120 if possible. A 12" fish is going to have a very hard time turning around to swim the other direction in a tank that is only 12" wide.... I think the stress of being in that small of a tank for 6 weeks may be too much for the fish.

Also, I think you may have a hard time finding 12" fish to buy. They may grow to be that large, but even the "show size" tangs and triggers I've seen offered on Divers Den are only 8-9" at most.

The money you'd pay for a tang that large would be rediculas... I cant see any justification buying one that large

I think u guys are right. 12" is a big size. I'm thinking more around 6-8". I had to pull out the ruler and I measure for a living lol. Large tangs will be in the tank will a 90 be enough? I want to put it in the bedroom any bigger will have to go somewhere that I can't enjoy.

Like the garage or laundry room

Last edited:
Just saying, he never mentioned tangs, specifically...could be triggers or something that are commonly larger.
There are more tangs that grow to over a foot then triggers available for the aquarium market. Plus, he said reef tank the really big triggers are aggressive tank only, just saying :Cheers:

I think u guys are right. 12" is a big size. I'm thinking more around 6-8". I had to pull out the ruler and I measure for a living lol. Large tangs will be in the tank will a 90 be enough? I want to put it in the bedroom any bigger will have to go somewhere that I can't enjoy.

Like the garage or laundry room

Most people actually over estimate the size of their fish mostly due to distortion of the glass. I think you'll be fine with a 90 for 6-8" fish. If you had to go bigger then that, then a lot of people would have trouble QTing new fish.

Back