large system substrate

LionFish

Resident Photoshopper
It seams like the majority of the larger tanks I see use Cc for the substrate. Is there a reason for that? I want to use sand the wife likes cc. What are some pros anf cons for each? Discuss away

Discuss we will!

Short story: CC sucks. Aragonite sand rules.

Long story: CC has large particles. This means that detritus and garbage gets stuck and trapped in it easily. Nitrates build up, leading to algae problems. Sand-sifting animals that normally would keep the sandbed clean of this detritus can't live in CC, so if you're planning on getting a sand sifting star or a sand sifting goby, you're SOL. CC also doesn't have the buffering capacity of aragonite sand, so you may be in for some pH swings eventually. Aragonite sand keeps your pH stable, is easy for animals to keep clean, doesn't trap crap and stays looking nice and white.

Honestly,I believe you have it the other way around.

Avoid crush coral like the plaque!its okay to have some shells in with the aragonite sand but all cc,no way.Biff already explained it so need for me to repeat it.

In fairness, Adrastos likes his CC. I don't know why, but he does. Let's just call Ad the obligatory nutjob of the thread; the one person that disagrees with everyone else!! ;)

Discuss we will!

Short story: CC sucks. Aragonite sand rules.

Long story: CC has large particles. This means that detritus and garbage gets stuck and trapped in it easily. Nitrates build up, leading to algae problems. Sand-sifting animals that normally would keep the sandbed clean of this detritus can't live in CC, so if you're planning on getting a sand sifting star or a sand sifting goby, you're SOL. CC also doesn't have the buffering capacity of aragonite sand, so you may be in for some pH swings eventually. Aragonite sand keeps your pH stable, is easy for animals to keep clean, doesn't trap crap and stays looking nice and white.

^^^ what she said !!

I personally like sand but for years my husband and I used both I had crushed coral on the outsides and sand in the middle (jawfish like cc) it looked nice for a bit but eventually went together.

Now I only use sand.

Back