Last Minute Questions Before the Move

Lizardgi

I used to have lizards
Hello,

I'll be moving my first reef tank soon and I have a few last minute questions. You can follow my build here: https://www.livingreefs.com/aarons-125g-move-build-1st-timer-here-t29286.html

First Question: I bought several rubbermaid deep containers to move water and live rock. I also have smaller ones to move corals, inverts, and one clown. I plan to put those smaller containers also in a cooler to keep the temperature as stable as possible. The move is only a 20 minute drive. Do I have to worry about any contaminates from the plastics hurting the inhabitants? I do have them rinsed very well. Also, is there anything I can do to minimize sloshing of water?

Second Question: Is there any special medication/buffers I should have on hand for when the aquarium is set up? I plan to use 75% old water and the same live rock. New sand will be added.

Third Question: Below is a picture of my custom built stand. I'm terrified it will not hold a 125 gallon tank. It's very solid, and mostly doubled up 2x4s. I know most of us are not structural engineers, but does anything call out to anyone that I may have issues?

IMG_1360.jpg

Thanks!

I can help with #1 and #2, but I'll leave #3 to someone more knowledgeable :mrgreen:.

You will be fine using the plastic. It won't hurt your animals. To minimize sloshing, put a heavy duty garbage bag in the container first, then fill it with water, then tie the bag at the top before putting the container's lid on.

No need to add anything to the water when you set it up. Your plan is sound!

Hello,

I'll be moving my first reef tank soon and I have a few last minute questions. You can follow my build here: https://www.livingreefs.com/aarons-125g-move-build-1st-timer-here-t29286.html

First Question: I bought several rubbermaid deep containers to move water and live rock. I also have smaller ones to move corals, inverts, and one clown. I plan to put those smaller containers also in a cooler to keep the temperature as stable as possible. The move is only a 20 minute drive. Do I have to worry about any contaminates from the plastics hurting the inhabitants? I do have them rinsed very well. Also, is there anything I can do to minimize sloshing of water?
You shouldn't have to worry about any contaminents if you've cleaned them out. As far as the water sloshing, you could always put the rubbermaid tops on the containers and just take it slow and easy on your drive home.
Second Question: Is there any special medication/buffers I should have on hand for when the aquarium is set up? I plan to use 75% old water and the same live rock. New sand will be added.
You don't need any buffers right now but, make sure you have extra salt water mixed up and waiting just in case you have a small cycle start up.
Third Question: Below is a picture of my custom built stand. I'm terrified it will not hold a 125 gallon tank. It's very solid, and mostly doubled up 2x4s. I know most of us are not structural engineers, but does anything call out to anyone that I may have issues?
The stand looks good to me, especially if the 2x4s are doubled up. But, if you're really worried, you could always put in another set of 2x4s between the corners and your middle support. But, really it looks sturdier then the pre-fab stands you'll buy in the LFSs

Thanks!
My replies are in the quote to make it easier

The stand looks solid, the deflection of 2x4's over what looks like a 4 foot span is very minimal, you probably didn't even need the centre brace but over building is better than under building.

The stand looks solid, the deflection of 2x4's over what looks like a 4 foot span is very minimal, you probably didn't even need the centre brace but over building is better than under building.

Should be a 6 foot span, the tanks a 125g .... But still strong enough

Stand looks good. You probably don't need them, but I would consider putting 2 more braces at the top. (1/3 across)...That would be the only difference between your stand and mine, (except that yours isn't dirty).

If you're planning on putting Plywood on top of it, use at least 1"...(I actually used 2 pieces) I for the stand and a wider one for the ledge in pic 3....I highly recommend making the ledge..You'll regret it if you don't have it. I didn't have it with my 90g...the minute I upgraded to the 180g I installed it.

I would also build a shelf in the middle of the stand..(But only build it 1/2 the length) you're going to need the other area for your sump.

These pics should make you feel better. Don't mind the mess...I'm tinkerin'

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 234
  • stand2.jpg
    stand2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 241
  • stand3.jpg
    stand3.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
i bought extra large garbage bags to wrap the rubbermaid tubs in. even with the large tubs only filled halfway they splashed EVERYWHERE in my jeep until i wrapped them in bags... i would highly recommend doing this unless you have a truck where a bit of water splashing doesn't matter

Thanks for the great tips everyone! I will be using a truck with an open bed to move the water, but extra large trash bags seems like a great idea! I'm looking to save every drop of water I can. I'll be adding some last minute plywood to make a shelf on Saturday morning. I won't be picking up the tank until later in the afternoon.

One last thing that gets overlooked sometimes....make sure you don't fill those rubbermaids up too much...water weighs approx. 8lbs. per gallon..32g rubbermaids get heavy real quick.:mrgreen:

After you put the sand in the tank, before you start filling it with water, put a dinner plate on top of the sand and let your hose splash the water on to the dinnerplate...it prevents the hose from splashing around and mucking up the water. Once you've got enough water in it, so the hose doesn't splash the sand just remove the dinnerplate.

Just keep everything that needs to stay wet, wet and you'll be fine. Good luck..can't wait to see fish cruising around in your new tank.:D

Last edited:
Back