Lawnmower Blenny ???

crazy cajun

Reefing newb
im thinking about getting a Lawnmower Blenny i saw at my LFS yesterday, i have a sugar sized sand substrate very fine, will he just blow sand all over the place and create a sand storm???? i see them pick up substrate and spit it out as they clean it but will the fine sand just get all stirred up??

Are you sure you're talking about a lawnmower blenny? Mine has never touched the substrate. It's stays on the rocks all the time

yea its a blenny, maybe the ones i saw just looked like a lawnmower blenny i did not see the one i was looking at sifting sand but saw some other doing it and they looked similar, i guess thats why im asking ?? what ones suck up the substrate and you see them spit it out through their gills?? and i see you said it gleans your glass ?? thanks

I don't think there are any blennies that sift the substrate (I could be wrong), there are sand sifting gobies. Yep the lawnmowers will clean the glass and anywhere else that algae grows

ok thanks, they must look simalar, but the one im loking at is the Lawnmower blenny,
so what about the sand sifting goby will it just stir up the fine sand all over the place

It will stir up the substrate looking for food in the sand, which can be a good thing. However, if you have sensitive or delicate corals on or near the sandbed the goby will continually spit sand all over them.

i think ill get the Lawmower Blenny he can be part of the clean up crew. ill pass on a Gobie if its gonna blow sand all over, although they do look cool when they are sifting the subsrtate if you have bigger sized substrate that dont blow all around when disturbed

You know,I have a red spotted blenny and he does put sand in his mouth and spits it back out looking for micro algae.It doesn't sift it like a goby does,in the mouth and out the gills.It picks it up,girgle for second and deposit right back down.Never dumps it on a coral like a goby.

If that was in fact a lawnmover blenny you saw at the fishstore,then that was what it was doing.

You know,I have a red spotted blenny and he does put sand in his mouth and spits it back out looking for micro algae.It doesn't sift it like a goby does,in the mouth and out the gills.It picks it up,girgle for second and deposit right back down.Never dumps it on a coral like a goby.

If that was in fact a lawnmover blenny you saw at the fishstore,then that was what it was doing.

Thats what my Stary Blenny does,except he spit the sand out the OTHER end after he's picked it up.

My diamond watchman goby sifts my sand. Made my tank cloudy for a week the first week I had him, but now, my sand is sparkly clean and he doesn't cloud up as much water, since most of it was skimmed off.

My lawnmower blenny is awesome....doesn't touch the sand, and doesn't do much cleanup really LOL But he eats some of my hair algae when I don't put out any algae sheets :)

Back