lazy starfish

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
After putting my starfish into the tank, he has decided to move up to my old powerhead I hadn't taken down and looks like a completely lazy animal

Im sure its because it has some hair algae there, but looks fairly cool :D

here are the pics

003ios.jpg

001fde.jpg

he's been sitting there for a while, so im hoping its just him being lazy and nothing is wrong :P

hahaha Mike! that is awesome :D

how many stars have you got in your tank, And what type is that orange one? it looks amazing :)

good luck with the linkia, they are hard to take care up because many people dont know what they eat, and they need a well established tank.

and NEVER expose them to air. I lost one because my LFS exposed it to air while bagging it.

Thanks for that Brian, Im lucky with how I put him in the tank then, never let him get in the air!

He looks healthy, im just waiting for my new test kit to arrive so im not 100% sure on water quality till monday *sigh* had a bad experience with a week late package from an online company.

Although my tank is not well established, it has come along quite quickly and have been very careful in keeping it as stable as possible, and everything is thriving.

One question though, Is it normal for a starfish to stay stationary for a large period of time? (first time ive had one)

I've got two stars currently a pink and a red. The pink never rests, always on the move and moves quickly. The red will sit in the same spot for days at a time. Once, he finds a location he'll stick there.

Linkias are tough to keep alive. Melosu has certainly bucked the trend with his, though!

They don't eat algae. And they are lazy.

I dont have the orange one any more. I gave it to someone. I do have a blue and a purple linknia. I have had good luck putting algea tabs under them. They will stay over it for a day or two. Had my blue one for 4 1/2 yrs now.

Those are nice looking for sure.I have always wanted stars,but they don't mix with triggs..lol. I always thought they needed a very mature tank also?

Im guessing thats something my LFS might not have known, he is quite good but can make mistakes as well!

As I thought he would, he has moved around through the night, musnt be as comfortable without the lights on!

We will see how he goes, I get a feeling my tank has matured quite quickly for the time ive had it, because nothing thing is thriving has died and every. But I could be quite wrong too!

I keep reading these posts about linkias ...I got my linkia with a big rock purchase from a guy on on CL, I didn't even know what type of starfish he was at the time, and he's missing a leg from a mantis shrimp, the guy says if you don't tank him I'm just gonna throw him in the garbage, I figured I'd at least give him a better shot at survival than the garbage can...I actually put him in my tank near the end of the cycle, because at the time I didn't have options, I've never had an issue with him, he looks healthy (as healthy as 4 legged starfish can look) moves around alot....are these guys just getting a bad rap? I haven't done one single solitary thing to keep him alive except leave him in the tank. just curious. Maybe I'll just name him Lucky.

PRC my Linkia looks like he will be the same, we shall see but, i'm confident but can never be too sure.

IF mine thrives, then we know there not too hard to keep as ive never known anything about saltwater tanks until 2 months ago!

Fingers crossed

The thing with Linkias,is nobody really understands them.But yet there are tanks that they thrive in and tanks that they waste away in.Kinda like xenia.

yea, well, im hoping my tank is one of those lucky ones!

You got me looking at xenia's now haha :D

Back