Leak in my tank :(

AlwaysImproving

Reefing newb
Well, I found a leak in my tank. Being that this is my first tank I ever had I kept asking people if they had to replenish the tank water everyday because of evaporation. Everyone said yea and I knew it couldnt be losing that much water. SO what do i do next? I haven't quite pinpointed the leak yet but its somewhere on the back right side.

I just ordered a brand new aqua c remora skimmer too :( Quite honestly I don't have the money for this at the moment and Im contemplating getting rid of the set up in general because there has been too many hassles. Next time around I will know what Im doing, I guess practice does make perfect.

I would be interested in some kind of trade + cash for a little aquarium, nano style if anybody is around Philly and local.

Is your tank sitting on a level surface? You might consider putting some plastic or super-glue on the inside of the tank to slow the leak and then apply sealant to the outside.

or depending on how much is in the tank, and where the leak is, drain the tank half way or so if you can to expose the leak from the inside, and then repair..

Almost every month there are someone giving away or selling tanks about 55g or so for less than $100 in craigslist in Long Island or near NYC. Someone was giving away a 220g just 2 days ago and a curb side alert for a 150g in Queens. You may want to check the craigslist in your area to get a replacement.

You should be able to get a standerd 55 pretty cheap.Then all you'd have to do is transfer everything over.

Sorry to hear about the misfortune, but don't quit on us, we all have adversity in this hobby, but it's well worth it in the long run...everyone above has you covered.

yea, i actually got what's gonna be my new sump for free cause it leaked. i filled it up with water, let it sit overnight outside, got up the next morning, figured out where it was leaking from, razor'd out the old silicone and smeared some new in, let it cure for a couple days, filled it with water, and it held outside in the 100+F heat for over a week, and didnt leak a drop... and the birds really loved it..

Bummer on the leak. But you've gotten lots of good advice. I like Project's idea of draining it to the leak area if it's high enough, then scraping off the silicone w/ a razor for that area, resilicone it, let it dry, then refill. If you don't find any deals on craigslist or your lfs (my lfs sells used tanks), just buy a 10 gallon, put all your livestock in it with filtration to keep the water moving, drain the tank as much as possible, then fix the leak. Lots of options, but all are a p.i.t.a.

Good luck and keep us posted.

i just did it with my 20l you just run the razor along each side make sure you have a sharp razor.just don't separate the glass or it will be a bit more difficult to get done. and get some masking tape like the blue kind since it is less sticky and comes off better run that on both sides just about a half inch from the corner and run a bead of silicone and smooth it with your finger. then pull the tape and you have a new seam.

Dude fixing leaks are really easy. If you can caulk well just about anything, you can fix a seam. I wouldn't quit over a leak just hang in there and you theres a reason sillacone is also known as fillercone. IT's hard to mess it up. Good luck and like everyone else says hang in there!!!!

Wow, you're right in Bethlehem? I'm in Philipsburg, small world.

I don't have an extra 55 myself but like everyone else said, you can get one off craigslist really cheap. Actually, I met a guy at work that said I could have his 110 gal and stand for free just because he wants to get rid of it. I could maybe sell you that so you could fix the leak and use the 55 for a sump. Apparently the 110 has a bulkhead fitting and everything already.

Now don't ya go quiting on us now Always. We all have or have had set backs at one time or another. And will have more of them in the future too! You hang in there and know we'll be here for moral support. Good luck and just take it one day at a time.

Back