leaning rocks agianst the glass Your thoughts

garydm

Reefing newb
well I just brought home a 15 pound rock with alot of zo'as and star polups and a bonus turbo snail on it.....needless to say Im getting crowded and its hard to maintain the space in front and in back of my pile of rocks.......so I was thinking of putting all my rock at the very back of the tank and lean it on the glass and build it all the way up......not all the weight will be on the glass Ill just use it to steady the rocks
Picture018.jpg

you can see I had it with a space in the front and back....I know sirculation is a problem but its hard to keep going up in a straight line with rock Im afraid of a rock slide and that would be bad....your thoughts

As long as your still getting good flow behind the rock,it wont hurt anything being against the glass.

Good...I have a k3 blowing down the backside of the rocks and Ill keep it there and lean the rock so it can still get to the other end....Thanks for your help yote

I have rock against the back glass in both of my tanks. As long as you have flow (like yote said and you said you do ) then no problem. I cant see any other way to have as much rock as you need and still be stable.

yep as long a you have good flow behind the rocks you will be fine with the rocks stacked. try to keep as many pieces off the glass if possible

I don't know of anyone that doesn't have any rock up against any glass in their tank -- unless it's a square walk around tank like Dennis'.

I do not in either of my tanks. Of course the Zero Edge is a walk around and is a given, however in my Red Sea Max I do not as well. I have before but have found that the fish seem to like and seem to be happier with the ability to swim all the way around the rock island. I think they feel like there is more room, even though it's the same water volume. They swim around and around the rock and it gives more access to for them to pick at things on the rocks. The other reason I don't like rock against the glass is because no matter how careful you are it still scratches the glass.

I believe most people do as Biff said and it is a personal preference.

I have rock against the back and both sides in my 30H tank. No choice. It's 24" tall. The footprint is no bigger than a 20H though. 24x12 doesn't leave a lot of room to spread out - so my rock wall is tall. Like Mt. Everest in there. I have space for water to flow all the way across the back wall - down low near the sand bed. Think of some REALLY steep bleachers at the local softball stadium. Thats my rock wall.

why is it important to have flow behind the rocks? i have a couple of rocks leaning on the glass but dont have any DIRECT flow pointed behind there, im sure theres some flow but not nearly good flow.

why is it important to have flow behind the rocks? i have a couple of rocks leaning on the glass but dont have any DIRECT flow pointed behind there, im sure theres some flow but not nearly good flow.

To keep detritus from building up and compromising water quality.

I have leaned rock up against the back of some of my fresh water tanks if it is a big rock watch out if its an old tank sometimes the rock might make the seals seperate

I have had my rocks upside the back glass for 11+ yrs now. It forces the fish to swim out front. That`s the reason I do it.

Granted just sayin it has happend to me a 150. The glass was a good inchthick. One from the 60's. I leaned a good 75 pound rock on it. It gave way right at the middle brase didnt loos any fish but when it went i just about had a heart attack

Back